? Mating-Strictly Business x Angus Cow for Flush-to make replacements

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shearem

I wasn't specific enough in my earlier post.  When I referred to size, I meant moreso weight than frame.  You're right, a 1300-1400 lb cow is just about perfect.  It's those 48 inch 1000 lb cows that don't make the cut in my operation.  Now back to the question at hand, Final Answer is siring some good ones that look like they'll work for a club calf scenario.  Might not be a bad choice.

SEA

Thanks for all your many posts.  Sure got alot of good suggestions and info.

buckwild

schaff (SAV) for angus, for a simmi- I really like Sandeens S.O.S. i think he fits your description,
for making a broody female with some show ring potential. make a great set of Simmi-Angus cattle

CAB

Grandmaster is in the top 1% of the breed for CE. His BW EPD is -10.5 the last time I cked.

SEA

CAB said:
Grandmaster is in the top 1% of the breed for CE. His BW EPD is -10.5 the last time I cked.
Is Granmaster a Shorthorn bull from Canada?

What is his age?  Is he a proven sire of making replacement females?

Is he proven to work on Angus cows, and %Simm/Angus & %Maine/Angus Cows to produce "Club Calf Type Replacement Females"?

LN

Grandmaster is a Simmental bull. He's with Select Sires. I'm still skeptical about his CE and growth numbers.

SEA

Thanks for all the advice.  Here is where I am at.

I flushed my Strictly Business x Angus cow to OCC Legend and froze embryos.  I will put some frozen embryos in recip cows June 5.

I am getting ready to "set her up to flush" again.  I would like to use a Meyer 734 influenced bull this time, but not a PB Simm.  I still need the depth of rib, and do not want to increase frame size.  I will then put these embryos in recip cows, fresh.  My short list is RSVP, Stockyard 209, Conclusion 437, SOS, Backlash.  Or maybe some other sire?

So, does anyone have any experience with these bulls, or this cross, to make replacement club calf females? 

What are your thoughts, experiences,  and ideas.

Thanks,

SEA

Grand Master?  I see they have female sexed semen on him for sale at Select Sires.

cotullaguy

SEA said:
Thanks for all the advice.  Here is where I am at.

I flushed my Strictly Business x Angus cow to OCC Legend and froze embryos.  I will put some frozen embryos in recip cows June 5.

I am getting ready to "set her up to flush" again.  I would like to use a Meyer 734 influenced bull this time, but not a PB Simm.  I still need the depth of rib, and do not want to increase frame size.  I will then put these embryos in recip cows, fresh.  My short list is RSVP, Stockyard 209, Conclusion 437, SOS, Backlash.  Or maybe some other sire?

So, does anyone have any experience with these bulls, or this cross, to make replacement club calf females? 

What are your thoughts, experiences,  and ideas.

Thanks,

I would think you could use Backlash, Maximus, or Radar.  Two of these are full brothers to Whiplash.

Average Joe

LN said:
Grandmaster is a Simmental bull. He's with Select Sires. I'm still skeptical about his CE and growth numbers.

looks like their is a little over 200 calves reported on Grand Master and what I have heard and seen across the country the birth and calving is holding up and the growth looks fine so far on the babies, more importantly everyone likes  them.

Mainevent

I have a November heifer that us 75% Maine -Anjou, 25% Angus and she is growing very quickly, she is deep, and hairy the only thing is she does not have very large bone but other than that she is doing very well. 

SEA

Average Joe said:
LN said:

looks like their is a little over 200 calves reported on Grand Master and what I have heard and seen across the country the birth and calving is holding up and the growth looks fine so far on the babies, more importantly everyone likes  them.
I was not planning on using a PB Simmi.  However, the $60 for female sexed semen and the good things I have heard about him, intrigue me. 

Does anyone know his frame size?  Is he a frame moderater?

How clean is his front end?  Does he have a square hip?  Does he carry his muscle low in his rear quarter? Does he have any hair?  Will he thro the show ring type and style?

Thanks,

jalebe

Hey Steve, I saw some Grandmaster calves a few days ago and they were nice. Good bodied and decently stout but not the best necked. They had calves out of a bull called Secret Agent that I liked better. He is a dream on x black jade.
Jesse

Average Joe

SEA said:
Average Joe said:
LN said:

I was not planning on using a PB Simmi.  However, the $60 for female sexed semen and the good things I have heard about him, intrigue me. 

Does anyone know his frame size?  Is he a frame moderater?

How clean is his front end?  Does he have a square hip?  Does he carry his muscle low in his rear quarter? Does he have any hair?  Will he thro the show ring type and style?

Thanks,
Their are several  progeny pics at www.hillcountrycattlecompany.com  looks like he works well for female progeny the ones I have seen have been really nice, the bull calves do carry a little more front than the females as a whole

SEA

jalebe said:
Hey Steve, I saw some Grandmaster calves a few days ago and they were nice. Good bodied and decently stout but not the best necked. They had calves out of a bull called Secret Agent that I liked better. He is a dream on x black jade.
Jesse
Jesse,
I have never heard of a Simmental bull by the name of Secret Agent.  I do not know who he is.  Has he been written about here on Steer Planet?  I will do a search here next.  However, I looked for him in several sire directories and in the May Show Circuit, but can not find anythng on him.

Do you or anyone else have any more info on him?

SEA

SEA said:
jalebe said:
Jesse
Jesse,
I have never heard of a Simmental bull by the name of Secret Agent.  I do not know who he is.  Has he been written about here on Steer Planet?  I will do a search here next.  However, I looked for him in several sire directories and in the May Show Circuit, but can not find anythng on him.

Do you or anyone else have any more info on him?

I did just did a search for "Secret Agent" here on Steer Planet and came up with nothing.

jalebe

Steve,
I also had never heard of him until tuesday when I saw him and about 15-20 progeny. He is owned by Hanewich Cattle Co and I am not sure who else. He is not on his website though. If I recall correctly he said he sold over $100000 in calves last year out of him.

rkmn

jalebe said:
Steve,
I also had never heard of him until tuesday when I saw him and about 15-20 progeny. He is owned by Hanewich Cattle Co and I am not sure who else. He is not on his website though. If I recall correctly he said he sold over $100000 in calves last year out of him.
Can you give me a basic description of the bull and his calves?