Melatonin

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

I have a few questions about using melatonin. Do good-haired cattle benefit from it? Does it really help calm one down? Are the daily crushed pills really cheaper than putting in implants once a month? Which gives calves better hair, melatonin, or a good mineral program.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out if this is something we should start using at home this winter, while we're getting ready for our spring shows. Thanks

kwl

Have fed Grow n Shine for years and is always our summer show feed. Hair growing supplements are highly debatable and everyone has a difference in opinion if they work or not but we have never had bad luck with grow n shine so it will stay in our feed program until it stops working or we find something better.

http://www.growandshine.com/

pjkjr4

kwl said:
Have fed Grow n Shine for years and is always our summer show feed. Hair growing supplements are highly debatable and everyone has a difference in opinion if they work or not but we have never had bad luck with grow n shine so it will stay in our feed program until it stops working or we find something better.

http://www.growandshine.com/

What doseage do you use, and do you topdress morning and evening?

Darkside

We feed grow-n-shine and think it work wonders for hair and temperament. Just give them 30 cc  after you blow them out, after a week or so some will even look forward to it. We had on bull then he heard the pop of the plunger being pulled out of the syringe he started licking his lips. The funniest thing you ever saw and hard to hide at shows.

pjkjr4

30cc= 1 ounce, right? Also, could it be mixed in with the feed? Sorry about all the questions, but this stuff is kind of expensive, and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the cost to do.

Darkside

Yes 30 cc=1 oz you can top dress it but like you said it is expensive so we but in there mouth so we know that they get  it and don't waste it. I don't mind answering questions so if you have any more just ask.

Meurer

I have used the melatonin pills and used that grow and shine also... to me they both work really good, the pill are really cheap and we use them on a crazy american steer for the past 2 years and it helped calm him down, there are also other natural supplements out there that can help calm down those nervous calves.