Melatonin

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

My Questions are:
1* How do I use it
2* What Dosage
3* How many Grams
4* Your Results?
If there is anymore info you can give me on it please let me know.

chiangus

4 implants should be administered every 30
days beginning a minimum of 90 days from the
target date. For a spring target date, it is
recommended the implants begin 120
days in advance for best results, but it
isn’t mandatory.

I have had good luck with them, but not a replacement for a good hair program of washing, rinsing, and brushing.

LindseysMaine_Angus

I dont want to use implants. As he has a nice amount of hair all ready. And I was just going to use the over the counter melatonin. Im not a huge competer either as i am just showing at my county fair this year.
Thanks

cpratz

LindseysMaine_Angus said:
I dont want to use implants. As he has a nice amount of hair all ready. And I was just going to use the over the counter melatonin. Im not a huge competer either as i am just showing at my county fair this year.
Thanks
I give them one tablet per feeding (two a day) 45 days before the show. Unless they are really crazy then maybe two or four a day. You cant really overdose them. You just stick it in there feed, but before you dump out feeder check for it sometimes they dont eat it.

The Show

Thanks
If he already has good hair then why do you want to feed him melatonin?

vc

If you are going to use the Melatonin tablets, 3mg, you need to give them 33 tablets a day, this equals the dosage they recommend with grow & shine (100mg a day).
We fed them in the morning when we put the calves in the stall, counted out a whole bottle of pills and bagged them so all the boys did in the morning was put them in the feed with the other top dresses, You need to give it to them at least 90 days out, 120 is better. Rinse blow and comb, as well as keep out of the daylight.
You can put them in boluses and administer them that way daily.

If you are only giving 2, 3mg, tablet a day, you are wasting your money it will have no effect on the animal.

If you want to use it to calm them, we would start 3 days out from the show, giving 40, 3mg, tablets a day, through the show.

I like the grow & shine over the pills JMHO

LindseysMaine_Angus

The Show said:
Thanks
Because my other steer chews on him and i want to keep him calm as he is all ready 600 lbs and isnt trained yet as my other steer is.

Taterbug

We have used them before we put 4 pills
per feeding (8) a day the whole season.
Worked fair we like Hide and Hair better.
Also tractor supply has 20 pound bucket
that does the same thing it's called Omegatin
it works really well adds @ 27% fat also.

The Show

The Show said:
Thanks
Because my other steer chews on him and i want to keep him calm as he is all ready 600 lbs and isnt trained yet as my other steer is.
Don't do that. You say you want to "keep him calm" which leads me to believe that he is already pretty calm. Giving a calf any kind of drug with a calming effect while breaking pretty much defeats the purpose of breaking. Not all cattle are puppy dog gentle, some just naturally have a bad attitude even after their broke to show. If that is his case then I wouldn't feed him melatonin at home. Follow what vc said. Those are the correct dosages to feed depending on how you want to feed it. One thing I will add, is if your steer doesn't like to eat them take a hammer or whatever blunt force object you have laying around and crush the pills up and mix them into the feed. Otherwise just throw them on top so that he'll eat them first.

chiangus

vc said:
If you are going to use the Melatonin tablets, 3mg, you need to give them 33 tablets a day, this equals the dosage they recommend with grow & shine (100mg a day).
We fed them in the morning when we put the calves in the stall, counted out a whole bottle of pills and bagged them so all the boys did in the morning was put them in the feed with the other top dresses, You need to give it to them at least 90 days out, 120 is better. Rinse blow and comb, as well as keep out of the daylight.
You can put them in boluses and administer them that way daily.

If you are only giving 2, 3mg, tablet a day, you are wasting your money it will have no effect on the animal.

If you want to use it to calm them, we would start 3 days out from the show, giving 40, 3mg, tablets a day, through the show.

I like the grow & shine over the pills JMHO

33 pills would be a hassle.  What does melatonin cost in the stores?  I have used it before to help sleep.

LLBUX

5 and 10 mg tablets are also available through many Walmarts.

Used it sparingly at the fair last summer with good results on cattle that are broke but a bit skittish. 

Did not work on a truly crazy steer.

Fed 5,  10mg tablets morning and night.  No problems with them eating the tabs.

Good luck-

The Show

Also, what you need to understand when feeding melatonin is that it's not X amount of pills you need to feed. You need to feed 100mg's a day to see a difference.