Meriwong Royal Grant pedigree

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

JIT I just remember as a kid hearing at some family holiday dinners about the problems 14G had in the pasture and how disappointing it was considering how impressive the bull was.

[/quote]

Yes, the 14G story is quite a story. He developed into a massive herd sire weighing close to 2700 lbs, but he was never able to settle a female by natural breeding, yet they were able to get some semen from him. I think there is still semen around from him. When the buyers made an insurance claim on him, it got kinda crazy, as the insurance company hired two private investigators who sneaked around for months trying to somehow prove that they were scamming the insurance company. One of the buyers eventually caught one of these guys in his pasture and he spilled the beans as to what he was up to. If memory serves me, it was a few years before the insurance company actually settled this claim.

I have seen several thousands of bulls sell over the years, but I do not ever remember another bull that created as much interest from breeders of all breeds. 14G would not be considered exceptional today, but at that time he was considered an incredible beast.

oakview

Ransom 179 was one of my favorites of his day.  His picture will be easy to find.  I'll bet Waukaru still has semen.  I remember seeing a better photo of Dandaloo Royal Duke somewhere, but the three bulls I posted were all together in an old magazine.  I cannot get the Commander in Chief photo to enlarge good enough to post.  However, if you want to see it, go to eBay and type in Shorthorn.  Someone is trying to sell a full page ad of Oakwood Farms and his picture is there along with several others.  I most likely have the magazine this ad is from, but that's in a huge stack and may take some time.  I enjoy looking at all the old magazines.  The 50's and 60's cattle are so small and compact, it is almost laughable.  Then I look at some of the 70's and 80's photos and they are so tall, it is also laughable.  The comforting thing to know is that in 30 or 40 years, maybe less, someone will dig out our old pictures of today and wonder what we were thinking, too.  I also find it interesting to look at some of the ads from the 60's or earlier for the few herds that are still in business today.  When I was looking for the Australian bulls' photos last night, I came across ads for the Jordan Family and Cates Family of Indiana, among others.  How times have changed!  

Okotoks

justintime said:
JIT I just remember as a kid hearing at some family holiday dinners about the problems 14G had in the pasture and how disappointing it was considering how impressive the bull was.

Yes, the 14G story is quite a story. He developed into a massive herd sire weighing close to 2700 lbs, but he was never able to settle a female by natural breeding, yet they were able to get some semen from him. I think there is still semen around from him. When the buyers made an insurance claim on him, it got kinda crazy, as the insurance company hired two private investigators who sneaked around for months trying to somehow prove that they were scamming the insurance company. One of the buyers eventually caught one of these guys in his pasture and he spilled the beans as to what he was up to. If memory serves me, it was a few years before the insurance company actually settled this claim.

I have seen several thousands of bulls sell over the years, but I do not ever remember another bull that created as much interest from breeders of all breeds. 14G would not be considered exceptional today, but at that time he was considered an incredible beast.

[/quote]

I bought a 14G daughter from Huberdale, HUBERDALE CSF SUZETTE 8L, at a sale held in Moose Jaw one year. She was great breeding female and bred to Deer Trail Private Eye she produced Diamond Xerxes 8X a bull exported to John Gibb in Scotland. Xerxes worked well in the Glenisla herd and was used for several years. Huberdale had kept daughters of 8L and I believe they still have Suzette's descending from her in their herd today.
           ALICE DOWNS SUPREME 27TH X-[AU]M6701524-  
    MANDALONG SUPER FLAG X-M437910-    
           MANDALONG ROANY 20 X-[AU]F6801486-  
  CRESTDALE SUPER FLAG 14G X-M445725-      
          BOA KAE ROYAL BANNER X-M423026-  
     CRESTDALE MAUD VERA 4B X-F594931-    
          SPARTAN VERA -F574512-  
HUBERDALE CSF SUZETTE 8L        
          KINNABER LEADER 9TH X-M419221-  
     KENMAR LEADER 16A X-M428535-    
          KENMAR ALICE 43X -F574907-  
  HUBERDALE SUZETTE 37C X-F604597-      
         KELROSE ATOMIC LAD 1S -M400541-  
    HUBERDALE SUZETTE -F578540-    
        HUBERDALE SUSIE 2ND -F515073-  

mark tenenbaum

oakview said:
I believe the Ceremonious herd was the Leemon family in Illinois.  The Oakwood herd was very noteworthy when we were just starting out in the early 60's.  I can't remember their family name.  Oakwood Gambler seems to be a name that I remember.  I think Highbank Royal Duke was the sire of Dandaloo Royal Duke that was used in Canada by Louada Farms among others in the late 60's or early 70's.  I'll have to check, but I think he was the sire of their Kelso Ignition bull.  Commander in Chief was also a noted sire years ago.  At one time, ABS had some Austrailian bulls available, the names Merriwong Smuggler and Lone Pine Grand Society seem familiar.  It seems as if there was a third bull, but I can't remember his name.  They were available from ABS just after Leader 21st and Leader 9th became popular.  Super Flag seemed to open things up for the Austrailian cattle at the time.  I'll have to check my old magazines.  I just looked at the old photos of Dandaloo Royal Duke and Kelso Ignition about two weeks ago.  I wish I had some time to post them.  We'll se how it goes.  ///// THE MAN WHO OWNED Oakwood was my idol-CB Teegarden-thier cattle RULED-and had very distinctive eyes-you could tell an Oakwood descendent a mile away. O0 

oakview said:
Here are some photos for you to savor.  The Oakwood bull is sired by Commander In Chief and was reserve champion bull at the 1951 International in Chicago.  Mandalong Royal Ambassador was sired by Meriwong Royal Grant and won the 1970 Sydney Show.  Dandaloo Royal Duke and Bogan Yalta were used in North America I suppose with some success.  I've got lots of pictures, just need time to find them all.  I'll keep looking others if you're interested.
[/we at traditional shorthorn are really interested in old pics and semen that we can use  quote]

Okotoks said:
I have two vials of Meriwong Royal Grant semen which I plan on using in a flush. He was instrumental in the Mandalong herd. In the top of his pedigree there are older American polled shorthorns, Ceremonious and Oakwood and I was wondering if anyone had info on them?

OAKWOOD DETERMINATION (A.S.H.B.) Red M54/52324 
    HIGHBANK DETERMINATION IMP. IN DAM.U.S.A.! (P) Red M57/02793 
            CEREMONIOUS DOROTHY 5TH (IMP. U.S.A.) (P) Roan F57/05683 
Sire: HIGHBANK ROYAL DUKE (P) Red Little White M57/03734 
            COMMANDER IN CHIEF (A.S.H.B.) Red M54/23662 
    OAKWOOD LAVENDER 27TH (IMP U S A) (P) Red Little White F57/06188 
          GLEN KNOLLS LAVENDER 4TH (A.S.H.B.) Roan F54/92503 
MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT (P) Red M59/01381 
            GUNDIBRI LADDIE 28TH (P) Roan M57/00527 
    GUNNAWARRA LADDIE 6TH (P) Roan M57/00895 
          GUNNAWARRA MAY (P) Red F57/01647 
Dam: MERIWONG ADELE (P) Roan F57/08513 
          GUNNAWARRA RADIANT 6TH (P) Red M57/00411 
    MERIWONG AMENITY (P) Roan F57/05167 
          BOGAN AMENITY (P) White F57/03299

[ if we can get it to UK we would use it on are shorthorn ]

Okotoks

Steve Hamilton said:
Okotoks said:
I have two vials of Meriwong Royal Grant semen which I plan on using in a flush. He was instrumental in the Mandalong herd. In the top of his pedigree there are older American polled shorthorns, Ceremonious and Oakwood and I was wondering if anyone had info on them?

OAKWOOD DETERMINATION (A.S.H.B.) Red M54/52324 
    HIGHBANK DETERMINATION IMP. IN DAM.U.S.A.! (P) Red M57/02793 
            CEREMONIOUS DOROTHY 5TH (IMP. U.S.A.) (P) Roan F57/05683 
Sire: HIGHBANK ROYAL DUKE (P) Red Little White M57/03734 
            COMMANDER IN CHIEF (A.S.H.B.) Red M54/23662 
    OAKWOOD LAVENDER 27TH (IMP U S A) (P) Red Little White F57/06188 
          GLEN KNOLLS LAVENDER 4TH (A.S.H.B.) Roan F54/92503 
MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT (P) Red M59/01381 
            GUNDIBRI LADDIE 28TH (P) Roan M57/00527 
    GUNNAWARRA LADDIE 6TH (P) Roan M57/00895 
          GUNNAWARRA MAY (P) Red F57/01647 
Dam: MERIWONG ADELE (P) Roan F57/08513 
          GUNNAWARRA RADIANT 6TH (P) Red M57/00411 
    MERIWONG AMENITY (P) Roan F57/05167 
          BOGAN AMENITY (P) White F57/03299

[ if we can get it to UK we would use it on are shorthorn ]
The link to this thread was brought up by Librarian in another thread (Polled Durhams and Shorthorns at 1904 Worlds Fair) and the interesting thing is we have been discussing whether to use this Meriwong Royal Grant semen in an upcoming flush of a 100% shorthorn cow Eionmor Lily 39S. Another choice is Newbiggon Jumbo. We have a couple of daughters in production and we are very pleased with them. Jumbo has two crosses of Meriwong Royal Grant.

KAROOLA KNIGHTLY LIGHT X-[AU]M5704548-
              ALICE DOWNS KNIGHTLY 28 X-[AU]M6701525-
                ALICE DOWNS MISSIE 2ND X-[AU]F6487-
MANDALONG SUPER ELEPHANT X-[AU]M7003227-
MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT X-M433385-
      MANDALONG MADGE 2 X-[AU]F6302477-
LAURELDALE MADGE 3RD X-[AU]F6000365-
NEWBIGGON JUMBO
MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT X-M433385-
MANDALONG ROYAL AMBASSADOR X-M433386-
MERIWONG HAREBELLE X-[AU]F6002057-
MANDALONG ROANY 51ST X-F603386-
                LONE PINE REGENT 2ND -[AU]M5703762-
                WYNYARD BAIZE 810 X-[AU]F6101169-
                                WYNYARD BAIZE 540TH -[AU]F5710849-

Attachments

• Eionmor Lily 39S.jpg
    Eionmor Lily 39S.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 182

beebe

When you say 100 % shorthorn, what do you mean by that?  Are you talking native?

Okotoks

beebe said:
When you say 100 % shorthorn, what do you mean by that?  Are you talking native?
100% in the Canadian herd book. Back in the eighth generation (which contains 256 ancestors) is Highfield Irish Mist which would disqualify her from native status. 

beebe

Okotoks said:
beebe said:
100% in the Canadian herd book. Back in the eighth generation (which contains 256 ancestors) is Highfield Irish Mist which would disqualify her from native status.
Thank you, nice looking cow.

Koulee

We are using a bull that has 3 shots of Meriwong Royal Grant.  We have the first calf crop on the ground, but I have not seem the calves yet.  I have the pedigree below.

MANDALONG ROYAL AMBASSADOR
        MANDALONG ROYAL FERRO
            LONE PINE ROANY 1608TH
    ROYAL TEROOK 34G
            MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT
        BOA KAE ROYAL AUGUSTA 2
  COULEE ROYAL FERRO 29 K
            MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT
        ROYAL TEROOK 10D
            BRANDON MARITA 128A
    COULEE ROYAL ROZA 09H
            WESTON CLIPPER 4TH
        WSU ROZA LADY ROTHES314
            WSU ROZA LADY ROTHS 105
KOULEE ROYAL FERRO 86Z
        DUNBEACON VENTURE
    RS DV 729 01
        RR GIRL 34TH
  RS GIRL 034 03
        SUTHERLAND TITLEIST 269 ET
      RS GIRL 57TH
        RR GIRL 38TH

Okotoks

I found the photo of Meriwong Royal Grant in the Mandalong Dispersal Catalogue from 1976. He was born in 1959 and is the sire of Mandalong Royal Ambassador and the grand sire of both Mandalong Super Flag and Mandalong Super Elephant. Unfortunately it has been touched up like most of the photos from that era, the old style photoshop! We ended up flushing the Eionmor Lily 39S cow to Newbiggon Jumbo and have two confirmed pregnancies as well as frozen embryos. We also put in a Four Point Royal 13th embryo from Lily 39S so I am really hoping we get a calf from that mating.

Attachments

• Meriwong Royal Grant-page-001.jpg
    Meriwong Royal Grant-page-001.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Meriwong Royal Grant pedigree.jpg
    Meriwong Royal Grant pedigree.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186

librarian

Thank you for posting the picture. I'm curious about the ways they "improved" photographs of this era. Did they stretch them or fill in areas (like flank or topline). Where did they add or take away? I have to learn to see what's really there.
He's a really interesting bull. What did Jumbo have that you thought would work better with the Lily cow?

oakview

Most of the 50's and 60;s era photos that I'm familiar with were most notably retouched in the lower quarter area.  First off, the cattle were usually pictured belly deep in straw.  Fortunately, most of them were so short legged it didn't take much straw.  The rear quarter was usually retouched to give a deeper, fuller appearance.  The tail was also retouched to make it look 'bushier', for lack of a better term.  Not too many bulls were pictured in their working clothes.  Most of the show bulls had an amazingly similar lower quarter and tail, at least in their photo.  Hard to believe someone would alter a photo to make an animal appear better than it really is.  Glad it doesn't happen today. 

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

No difference of photoshoped pics of today.
On that time a "modified" bull was used only in one or maybe two herds. Today modificated bulls are used in many herds throught AI.
Will stay only on pics, not will spread it for numbers.

Okotoks

librarian said:
Thank you for posting the picture. I'm curious about the ways they "improved" photographs of this era. Did they stretch them or fill in areas (like flank or topline). Where did they add or take away? I have to learn to see what's really there.
He's a really interesting bull. What did Jumbo have that you thought would work better with the Lily cow?
I agree with Oak view on the old touched up photos especially the tail switch being large and literally moved to the photo side as well as the lower hind quarter enhnaced. It is too bad because is does make it difficult to know what an animal really looked like. We ended up using Newbiggon Jumbo on Eionmor Lily 39S as her embryo production has dropped we have more of.his semen and he has given us very good daughters. Lily was flushed on Friday to Diamond Belvedere 29B and only produced 2,embryos so we will not be flushing her again but we have some interesting matings from her. I will try to post some Jumbo daughters and their calves. My sister has a nice Mandalong Royal Ferrari daughter; Ferrari was line bred to Royal Grant.