Meyer 734 on heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

$500 to $650 dollar semen on a strait AI heifer, no. Find one to flush if you're going to use 734. JMO

knabe

If he's so good and gets used on better cows, why hasn't he produced something better or as good as himself.  Are people not paying attention to what made him in the first place or is he just a freak that makes females only like Maines?

TJR

Knabe-  He has produced at least one son better than himself. (Macho)

LostFarmer

Most the pure bred guys don't have much use for Meyer.  A simi breeder friend called him a raw boned slab sided worthless bull when used on most simi cattle of his day.  Meyer Who has been show to work well.  The reality is he flat out worked on angus and maine cattle.  i think part of the work was the free hetrosis that you gained.  I would say as a momma maker Whiplash was darn close to as good.  For as little as he was really used there are still plenty of whiplash mothers getting it done as cows. 

chambero

Meyer sons were/are great bulls to have running around in your pasture.  We had three sons we ought and everyone did a great job for us.

LostFarmer

Tough calving.  Not recommended on heifers.  As said above if you have semen on him use it on a proven flush not a single calf from and unproven heifer. 

furinsilex

we had a few out of heifers a few years ago.  Never have had any trouble with heifers or cows and cavling all of them have been under 85 pounds.  That being said i wouldnt breed him to heifers again, made me a nervous wreck calving them things

CAB

IMO Whiplash would be the better female maker & the double & triple stacked Meter734 bulls have not panned out @ all.

Herf 399 to answer your question strait out. Meyer 734 is not safe @ al for use on heifers.

AAOK

Poppycock!  I had only a few Meyer 734 calves, but all came easy and small, averaging 75 lbs. Two were out of heifers, coming quickly and unassisted.  And, the two 734 bulls I raised were incredible! 

LostFarmer

So does that mean that the 100 lbs calves out of meyer are the anomaly or the 75 lb calves are.  Generally speaking Meyer is not considered calving ease and heifer safe.  That said Whiplash was a first calf.    As I tell my kids all the time can and should are 2 different words. Can you breed Meyer to heifers or should you breed meyer to heifers.