Meyers Blacktop

Help Support Steer Planet:

lightnin4

I was looking through our semen tank today and found one straw of this simmental bull.  Our neighbor used to have a few simmental cows and kept his semen on our tank, so I'm sure it was his.  What cananyone tell me about this bull?  Any pics of him?  Any relevance to use today?

vcsf

Here is the most common picture of Blacktop.  There was also a picture of him as a yearling that he looked better in but I would have to do more searching to find it.

I also found Blacktop to be an interesting bull as from the picture I could not see why anyone would consider using him but I actually liked the calves that I saw sired by him although there were not that many.  The calves seemed to have a lot of hip to them with a fair bit of muscle and shape along with being long bodied.  Looking back the calves probably did lack depth of body.

Blacktop sired some bulls that the did a good job in their own right including Meyer's Redtop who produced many champions for Drakes and his full brother Red Pepper along with others.  Blacktop's most noted daughter was probably CCR Black Star who was a many time champion who also produced a Denver Grand Champion female and still shows up in some pedigrees.

If I was to use the semen I would want to use it on a deep bodied and probably moderate to smaller framed cow.

Attachments

• Blacktop 206Y.jpg
    Blacktop 206Y.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 252