Midwest Made Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

I was wondering who made it to the sale and any thoughts on certain lots of your choice! 

thebulllady

There were a BUNCH of heifers in the sale, and not many breds.  The prices were pretty much what they've been like at every other sale in the past few months.  10% go really high, and drop substantially from there.  Not a lot of "mid range" things.  Some good type heifers that sold under $2500.  The consistency of the offerings was very good in this sale I thought!

firesweepranch

Ed from Shoal Creek picked up a few really nice heifers! Like Bull lady said, some great cattle sold. I think the deals were in the falls and the bred heifers. If I had some grass I would of picked up a few! Cheap cheap cheap...

thebulllady

Lol... yup Shoal Creek did get some nice ones.  He was bidding against me more than once.  But they have deeper pockets and more hay than I have.  <cowboy>

coachmac

Thank you for the info.  I had a couple in mind and low and behold....  They went for less than I thought.  😏

firesweepranch

Coach, which ones were you looking at?
Bull Lady, I wish my pockets were HALF as deep as some of those guys!!! I really liked lot 4, 11A (is that one you wanted Bull Lady?), 14, 15, 18, 24 and 33.  Too bad I did not have the money to pick one of them up. And I feel the prices are only gonna get higher! Good thing our herd is growing and we have a bunch to chose from next spring! Our only two this fall are both bulls (the second one is due any day now, but I know it is a bull - by Rendition!).

thebulllady

Interesting though... they didn't run the cattle through the ring, just used video screens. 

Here are the ones you asked about:  Lot 4 - $7,000.  Lot 11A was $5,200 (Shoal Creek bought this one).  Lot 14 - $8,750.  I bought lot 15.  Lot 18 - $5,700.  Lot 24 - $ 1,800.  Lot 33 - $2,500.  I would have bought the Fat Butt, but I was hoping one of the breds (55, the Bettis cow) would be affordable.  Some very good deals! 

firesweepranch

Thanks bull lady (BTW, do I know you?), but I have the prices. Was there on-line.  8) I wanted to make the trip up but just could not swing it. You got a good deal in 15! Cheap for the quality. I have some Analyze This semen in my tank (got it at nationals this year from Jay), I already have plans for most of it (using it on a great Angus cow we got this year). Both those Bettis cows were on the top of my list. I have some sexed Bettis semen in my tank, tried to use it on a half blood heifer two times but got nothing out of it (she took the third time to conventional semen). I still have 6 or 8 straws in my tank.  I really liked the Superman heifers, lot 63 and 65 and they went cheap. The Baily's showed a Superman heifer a few years ago that was really nice, and two of her heifers were shown this year (Coach Mac has one). Really nice cattle. He seems to throw some gut on his heifers!
Anyway, I guess I will keep dreaming until I get some of my own or next year's sale  ;)

husker1

I was at the sale as well.  Thought it went pretty well from top to bottom.  I liked the lot 14; she was a powerhouse.  If not for the extra front, she'd have been the cat's meow! 

As a group, I also thought that the group of Entourage litter-mates were a nice bunch. 

Everything was well-presented.

Will start  new threads on these topics also in regard to this sale... I'm curious what everyone thinks of the Domination calves that they are seeing this fall?...and what are thoughts of sales with video playing only (not running calves through the ring)?  (please comment on new threads)

forcheyhawk

Lot 30 would have been my pick and for me it wasn't really even close on any other lot.  That said, I found all the Entourage heifers to be sound, soft, and eye appealing.  Some of them had some leather up front but that's being fairly critical on a nice set of calves.  I really thought there were some very good buys.  There were some really good heifers out of high quality cows that were in the $2000 range and that was from all breeders involved.  I was very impressed with those Bettis breds too.  I wish they would have stayed in my range as I really wanted to own them.  Overall I think it was a good sale.