Mike Zamudio, AZ, Judge - What's his style, likes, dislikes?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowboylaw

Looking for information on livestock judge Mike Zamudio.  He's out of Arizona.  What style of calf does he like?  His likes and dislikes?  Showmanship likes and dislikes? Anyone seen him judge?  Your input would be helpful, thanks. 

nkotb

knabe said:
Whitter said:
He likes good complete cattle that can move with enough muscle and look

which judges don't like that?

None, which is why it always seems so ridiculous that people are always asking this.  Are you going to change what animals you bring to a show based on what the judge likes?  Other than clipping a little different are you going to physically change the animal you are showing that day?

Tallcool1

nkotb said:
knabe said:
Whitter said:
He likes good complete cattle that can move with enough muscle and look

which judges don't like that?

None, which is why it always seems so ridiculous that people are always asking this.  Are you going to change what animals you bring to a show based on what the judge likes?  Other than clipping a little different are you going to physically change the animal you are showing that day?

I see the humor in your reply...and I actually laughed a little when I read it.

"Other than clipping"!!.....uhhhhhh......you say that as if clipping would not physically change the animal you are showing that day.  Really?  That ALONE is enough reason in itself.

And yes, you CAN physically change the animal you are showing that day.  It is called ZILMAX!  20 days to a New You!

Some of these fat steer shows still just boil down to a glorified "ass contest".  Some of them have ACTUALLY become about "complete cattle that can move with ENOUGH muscle". 

Where asking about a judge will help you is when you find out that a judge doesn't care if they come within a foot of filling their tracks as long as they are 4 feet wide and profile like a super model.  Then by all means, Zilmax him!

Just my opinion. 

knabe

So we need cattle with oversized butts?  I can't deny.

Didn't that get pigs in trouble?

nkotb

I understand you can change an animal by clipping, that's why I said it.  With Zilmax off the market what would your next suggestion be?  I realize you can change one some, but completely trying to change your animal to fit what someone else's perception of what a judge likes seems really strange to me.

DLD

There really is tons of difference in judges.  If they all picked 'em the same way we'd only ever need one show.  There are judges that want their market steers to weigh 1250, and some that want 1350.  Some will take anything in between, some won't use anything over 1300, some won't use anything under 1295.  Some pick power over soundness, others vice-versa. Some judges like stouter, clubbier type females, some like them more refined.  Some like colors, some don't.  Some like hair, some don't.  Some judges like a really animated, dramatic showmanship style, some like showmen to be calm and relaxed.  I could go on and on, but suffice it to say it's a very legitimate question.

Edit to add; Yes, it does make a difference which cattle we take to a show.  If we only had one head per kid on feed, it might not (but might mean we don't go).  No, we don't pass up our state majors or spring county show (premium sale), but a jackpot or district show we sure could.  Sometimes you know who the judge will be far enough in advance that you can try to buy cattle to suit him/her.

knabe

how do judges know what they way if they aren't weighed right before they go in the ring?

falsifying weights is pointless and really points to almost all steers being overweight.

cowboylaw

I fully understand there's not a lot I can do with the calf at this point except some minor clip changes, however what I'm more after is what he's looking for in showmanship.  Does he ask questions or does he simply want to see how the showman works? 

But to the calf, as DLD stated, some like steers between certain weights.  Does he prefer the more moderate, modern monopoly style, or the ol' 1450# can barely get him out of the chute type. 

He's young enough so I figure he's likely to prefer the more moderate calves. 

And yes, some people will change their calf selection for a specific judge.  This happens ALL the time. 

knabe

cowboylaw said:
the ol' 1450# can barely get him out of the chute type. 

what's the real (un-shrunk) weight of winning calves in grand or reserve the last 10 years.

Tallcool1

nkotb said:
I understand you can change an animal by clipping, that's why I said it.  With Zilmax off the market what would your next suggestion be?  I realize you can change one some, but completely trying to change your animal to fit what someone else's perception of what a judge likes seems really strange to me.

Revalor

Optiflexx

This is a thread..."someone" wasn't asked.  Every single member of this site was asked.

I understand the point that you are making, and I agree that it can seem strange.  We have a steer going to a State Fair in a couple weeks.  He has been shown 5 times, and presented completely different each time to the liking of the judge he was showing under.  It matters, right or wrong.

Tallcool1

knabe said:
cowboylaw said:
the ol' 1450# can barely get him out of the chute type. 

what's the real (un-shrunk) weight of winning calves in grand or reserve the last 10 years.

What a great question!  I would love to know the answer to that question.  Furthermore, is there any correlation between show weight and slaughter house weight?  We look at "trends" in the show ring, and what we are trying to accomplish with these terminal crosses.  I certainly like the way that these cattle can pack on the pounds.  But why can't the end result be allowed to follow suit with what is considered desirable in the packing house?

St. Joseph, MO    Mon Aug 12, 2013    USDA Market News Service

5 AREA WEEKLY WEIGHTED AVERAGE DIRECT SLAUGHTER CATTLE
Texas/Oklahoma/New Mexico; Kansas; Nebraska; Colorado; Iowa/Minnesota feedlots
(Includes all transactions regardless of delivery day)
For: Week Ending Sunday, 8/11/2013

Head        Weight            Price              Avg      Wtd Avg
                            count        Range            Range            Weight    Price
STEERS
Over 80% Choice      9,403    1,250-1,500    122.00-125.00  1,426    123.44
  65 - 80% Choice      6,660    1,225-1,490    120.00-124.00  1,399    122.68
  35 - 65% Choice      8,245    1,204-1,450    120.00-124.00  1,346    121.14
    0 - 35% Choice                    -              -
    Total all grades    24,308    1,204-1,500    120.00-125.00  1,391    122.45

So...the steers in the Over 80% Choice group had an average live weight of 1,426 pounds, with none exceeding 1,500 pounds....and so on down the chart.

So the steers most likely to grade are the steers that fall into the heavier weight ranges, and keep in mind that these weights are AFTER a trailer ride to the packing house.  I believe a 2% shrink is fairly reasonable if not conservative to say the least.

When was the last time a 1,425 pound steer won a state fair or major show?  Can't use him...he's too big!  Too big for what...the industry?

I think it is too bad that the 1450# steer can't just be shown @ 1450#, and have that be accepted as "normal" simply because that is what we see in packing houses week in and week out.  It is what the industry is doing, and it is obviously working or the industry would not be doing it like that.  Unfortunately, if you show him at that weight you have pretty much NO shot at the win.

Knabe, to answer your question...I would "estimate" a 10% shrink on the REALLY stout ones.  The ones that "barely come out of the chute" because they are so wide.  So they show at 1,360, plus 136 gets you to about 1,500 pounds a week before the show.  Of course it depends on the steer.  That's just a stab in the dark.

knabe

in the old days, we would shrink 1500+ steers to under 1400 easily.

their bellies were so wavy from the water loss it was sort of gross.

i think one year we had a chi colored chi cross ildeno son that really weighed 1535 and a black one about the same and they were still in the heavy weight class but a lot "lighter" than their less shrunk competitors it wasn't even funny.  not only that, the competitors were really ugly.

DLD

knabe said:
how do judges know what they way if they aren't weighed right before they go in the ring?

falsifying weights is pointless and really points to almost all steers being overweight.

It's called weigh back.  Here in OK (and I know we're not the only place that does) the top 5 steers in each class are weighed when the class is over - anything over a 5% variation from the weight on your card and you're out.  Are they still all honestly what the steer weighs at their natural fill?  No, but they pretty much have to be close enough that the steer still looks good.

Regardless of a steers "honest weight" most judges have a weight range they find acceptable, some are willing to go outside that range, some are not.  I've seen premium sale lists where 65 steers out of 800 made the sale, and 60 of those weighed between 1250 and 1300... If I'm about to show under a judge like that, I'd sure appreciate knowing about it ahead of time.

And by the way, those weights aren't always shrunk - sometimes they're filled, too.