Milkman history on calving....

Help Support Steer Planet:

bjkoller

Sorry for 2 posts in one morning... but used Milkman on some of my better cows and just heard from guy who used him on some of cows he bought from us.  Had an almost 140 pound dead calf last night, which terrifies me but had to pull many others.  What are your experiences?  Anyone induced cows bred to him?  Thoughts, helpful hints ... really anything would be helpful.  Love his calves but not sure will use him again if this is more likely than not to be the case.  Knew he was a hard calver but I guess not like this.  If you used him successfully what type of calves and any other keys to success?  New to the clubby bull deal and trying to figure some things out.

horseshoe b

i won't use him again, he is a cow killer, yes i have seen some good milkmans, but it is not worth the trouble , we have one real good one and one that looks like a jersey that was implanted.

johnwayne

Hey Sorry about your trouble.  I have had  3 milkman calves all unassisted.  I used on an purebred Angus cow that was a 3rd calf cow.  I have not weighed them but believe them to be a bit on the heavy side, still unassisted.  I have learned that nutrition in the last trimester is critical on calf formation.  I have lost calves that past the due date.  They gain at a extremely high up to and past the due date.  It is hard to determine when we should induce labor but at times I believe with the nature of our club calves we need to monitor these cows extremely close.  The closer to the due date we get.  If I can answer any questions about what or how please pm me.

CAB

Yep, he's been called a cow killer by more than a few PPL. We use him to see how big of a calf a cow can have!!! Just kidding. We are expecting one Milkman this spring out of a WMW cow. We'll see what happens. She usually has a small early calf.

nck21

We had a Milkman heifer yesterday. She was about 85 lbs unassisted. She is solid black out of an Angus cow and has good bone hair and alot of muscle. She has a bright future. I would also have to say that this calf is considerably smaller than the calf she had last year out of our ex-herd bull (he only bred 1 out of 20 cows in the pasture because he went sterile).

bjkoller

Thanks to all those that replied!  We ended up with two of the three that calved to Milkman and even though I was worried no issues.... These are two pretty good calves.  One heifer and a bull....both unassisted.  Heifer was small but already fancy.  Bull calf is a tank but came unassisted as well.  I will for sure be using him this spring but will have cows ultrasounded and know who is due to him and when!  Here's a pic of our bull calf out of purebred cow that's about 2 weeks in pic and second is a shot of the heifer at about a week old.

Attachments

• milkman.jpg
    milkman.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,686
  • milkmanh.jpg
    milkmanh.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 417

Steer4Caddy

He is a Heat Wave X Purebred Charolais.  Of course he will have calving problems.  Losing 1 of 3 is not good.  Losing 1 of 10 is not good.  It's a decision everyone has to make in the club calf business and it sucks.

BCCC

cotullaguy said:
so, do you guys still believe he is a cow killer?  ???
YES! had one weigh 130lbs this spring, and the cow didn't get up for 3 days(and the calf longer than that)

cotullaguy

BCCC said:
cotullaguy said:
so, do you guys still believe he is a cow killer?  ???
YES! had one weigh 130lbs this spring, and the cow didn't get up for 3 days(and the calf longer than that)

fine, I will go with his easier calving father, Heat Wave!  <cowboy>

Show Steaks

had 4 this year, one at 85-90#'s  2 of them in the 105-110 ball park and one GIANT 135+ calf by some god given miracle born unassited it stood just under waste high on me  at one day old, also by miracle it started nursing without assistance.    calves are BIG get the calf jack ready, in most clubby herds you would have pulled all these calves i had to pull only one of the middle weight calves

cotullaguy

Show Steaks said:
had 4 this year, one at 85-90#'s   2 of them in the 105-110 ball park and one GIANT 135+ calf by some god given miracle born unassited it stood just under waste high on me  at one day old, also by miracle it started nursing without assistance.    calves are BIG get the calf jack ready, in most clubby herds you would have pulled all these calves i had to pull only one of the middle weight calves

Showsteaks,

would you suggest someone using Milkman?  is he worth the effort?

CAB

The one that we had was born on due date, bull calf, 80/90lbs, but this cow always has small BW calves. He is maybe a tick strait on both ends for me but is the best calf that this cow has ever had. I will slowly, carefully use the rest of the Milkman semen eventually, but won't order anymore for more than one reason. BW issues & color pattern being the 2 biggest.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Prople are discussing his birthweight problems , I've heard of  same  problems with Heatwave an Monopoly,Monopoly this year I know of 3-4 dead ones ,we had some , they were problem free, depends on that cow ....Lot of people cuss Alias for structure problems , Kris Black gets along with him an Charolais cows great, we haven't had any problems with him an Carnac on Angus an Charolais cows, stuck WMW on Carnac daughter an didn't work quite as well ...