Milkman or Captain Morgan on herf/angus cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davidsonranch

Just curious if anyone has used Milkman or Captain Morgan on any herf/angus cows?  I got a couple old black baldy range cows I picked up that could use some bulking up on the calves.  trying to get some 4-H steers for the kids next year.  Not sure where the smoke would come in or not and baldy faces. Just seeing if there are any calves out there or opinions.  I know there are a million other options that may be better, but just curious.

kfacres

Davidsonranch said:
Just curious if anyone has used Milkman or Captain Morgan on any herf/angus cows?  I got a couple old black baldy range cows I picked up that could use some bulking up on the calves.  trying to get some 4-H steers for the kids next year.  Not sure where the smoke would come in or not and baldy faces. Just seeing if there are any calves out there or opinions.  I know there are a million other options that may be better, but just curious.

I personally like Captain Morgan- and have him in my tank.  I remember him really good from Denver- where he was in almost everybody on our team's favorite and closest to ideal.  Although nobody suspects he'll make the best haired offspring- you cannot deny his substance, or natural thickness.  His owners are on here: and pretty often post some really good offspring photos- I'd say he's about half and half in terms of making the smokes.  Alot of people wanted to gripe about his front legs and shoulder- but it isn't a problem IMO-- Seriously when you compare cripples to cripples-- wouldn't you want a 2 legged cripple over a four anyday?  That's exageration at it's finest though. 

If I had a cow needing performance, stoutness, or true muscle- he is my number 1 pick of crossed up, club calf type cattle.  I guess I would call him the most 'real world' or the clubbies.  I also don't think he'll ever have the BW issues that Milkman is quite commonly known for. 

Seriously, he's a bull that's being overlooked- IMO.

Bradenh

we showed a captian morgan calf last year and he wasnt the thickest or most moderate (i would call him functional sized as opposed to extreme), good bone, sound as a cat and just really balanced steer. was second place heavy weight to guess what? a milk man, more extreme, shorter. boarder line cripple that was definatly carrying more product but not as functional

ive never fed a milkman so thats all i can say, captian morgan is a safer bet. i think and milkman is hit or miss

lj113

For me its Milkman all the way! Showed a real nice Milkman heifer, real nice foot, sound, thick, pretty good haired...bred him to about 20 cows over the past three years only pulled one. Saw some Captain Morgan heifers all were big necked lots of leather no hair I wasn't impressed with them or him.

Davidsonranch

So how about the hereford influenced cows vs. lets say a simmy / angus or a pb angus?  Still one over the other?  I like them both, so the proof is in the pudding to me, and what others have ended up with.  I'm trying to research some calf pics. These cows are great mothers / milkers.  I would just like to "beef" up the calves a little.

kfacres

Davidsonranch said:
So how about the hereford influenced cows vs. lets say a simmy / angus or a pb angus?  Still one over the other?  I like them both, so the proof is in the pudding to me, and what others have ended up with.  I'm trying to research some calf pics. These cows are great mothers / milkers.  I would just like to "beef" up the calves a little.

To me: I think it boils down to:

Do you want HeatWave or not?
Do you want THC or not?
If you would want to keep a heifer calf if born- would you want either of the above?

I view CM- as a pretty well outcross to most all clubby genetics found today- and clean- which I think could be awesome for either producing females or a future highlight sire to use on the common THC bloodlines of today and into the future.

but I do think you are on the right track with this thought: I'm a believer in using some Char composite to keep 'em thick.  I think that is a sure fire way to click on a Herf.

twistedhshowstock

Personally  I like both bulls when looking at them on paper, to me as you said the proof is in the pudding.  I have not seen a ton of Captain Morgan calves that just really impressed me, they are all very functional, I just havent seen many Captain Morgan's that I think have what it takes to get it done on the show ring.  But you can probably take that with a grain of salt because I havent seen just a ton of calves out of him.
Milkman on the other hand has produced a lot of calves that have really impressed me, and in the sales lately his calves have been on fire.  I think that Captain Morgan could definately work, but Milkman sure seems to be getting it done a lot.

Davidsonranch

Thanks everyone.  I'm still looking in the archives to see some calf pics and see if something sticks out or not.  I appreciate the info.  if someone finds some calf pics that stick out or may sway me, please post!!!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I haven't used any CAPTAIN  MORGAN ,haven't heard of him winning many shows ,Milkman has had some awesome heifers and pretty good steers ....AS FAR AS BIRTHWEIGHT with the kinda cows you have I personally don't think you will have any problems , put him on a crossed up clubby mother and it's a whole different
story...

hntwhitetail

Probably get a higher % of marketable fair steers and heifers from milkman due to the TH..

Mueller Show Cattle

I have a smoke colored milkman heifer that is super stout, yes she is THC and is the only cow/heifer I have kept that is THC. I could not let her go because of how stout she is and she is sound. I will not know how well she milks until next spring as I'm breeding her this May, her mother is a good milking maine out of full throttle so I hope she gets some of her traits also. I like the looks of CM but have not used him. If I could guess if I would get a bull or heifer calf, I would used CM to try and get a heifer with not saying that milkman is bad but I would say that it is probably safe to say that CM has a more maternal upside. But hands down with the calfs I have seen, milkman throws better steers if you happen to get a bull calf.

landman33

Champion Steer
2011 Kansas Junior Livestock Show
Sired by Captain Morgan

Attachments

• 2011 Champion Steer.jpg
    2011 Champion Steer.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 198

j3cattleco

From Craig Rieter

Top steer at Mimms Calf Sale today: Milkman x N117 at $64,500. Look for more of this blood at Frozen Gold XI and Donors Unlimited!

Full sib to Grand Steer 2011 Ft Worth.  Eric Drager and Jay Carr have a smoking good milkman pictured on carrcattle.com. I haven't seen him but his pic looks awfully good.

Joshua

Latest posts