Milkman

Help Support Steer Planet:

roycattle

first cow to calve this year had a milkman, jacked out and did not make it.  My fault what you get to try and raise great ones.

gilbert07

this is a pic of my cow that i bred milkman to..it was takin in may 09...i was just wondering if anyone thinks she will have any trouble calving? 

Attachments

• 100_0834[1].jpg
    100_0834[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 201

WFCC

hope you breed milkman to a mature cow, not 3 yrs old either, and the ones i have seen can be a little course through the shoulder.

olsencattleco

we had 5 or 6 milkmans this year. All of them were fairly large (90-100 lbs) except for one and his dam always has a smaller bw calf. I loved all of my milkmans when they were babies but for some reason they just seem to be behind the rest of the group. im sure they will snap out of it though.

We used milkman on 5 to 6 year old cows. We check our cattle three times a day and sometimes more during calving, even our more mature cattle. but i would definately pay close attention to your heifer especially since she's a pb char. Most of heatwaves and milkmans highest bw are out of pb charolais cattle.

eric

horseshoe b

May Cattle Co said:
What are the opinions on Milkman and what type of cows does he work the best on?
BE VERY CAREFUL CAN  HAVE SOME BIG ONES , THERE ARE OTHER SMOKEY BULLS TO USE THAT CALF EASIER

olsencattleco

I would like to add that Alias has worked extremely well for us. I know that there are structural wrecks with him, but his genetics are only 50% of the calf. We have used him on a few of our charolais cross females, but he has done wonders on our  Hoo Doo females.

I would suggest maybe trying him on your pb char after she calves to milkman.

eric

bjkoller

Had a Milkman heifer calf this morning and should be expecting 2 more soon.  After I used him heard the horror stories and am nervous waiting on other two but this calf is great!  Out of a smaller made Charolais cross cow, would say she's in the 85-95 range but up and playing around pretty fast.  Due date wasn't till Friday, and am considering options on the other two if they don't calve soon.  Will post some pics later today hopefully.

bjkoller

Just to update those that have talked with me about Milkman... had my second one tonight out of a smaller purebred cow!  She had him by herself, I checked her at 5:00 nothing at 7:30 bull calf!  He is big but won't know how big till morning.  He is red which surprised me but there must be some red gene in the cow and would wonder about Milkman as well.  Will need to look up his Charolais genetics. Have one more left and as the clock ticks I will be getting more nervous, after about tomorrow I'm almost hoping she didn't take on the AI!  Pictures soon I promise.. got to be home before dark!

nck21

We bred two Angus cross cows to him. One of the cows had a pretty big calf probably over 90 lbs last year out of our Simmental bull so we'll have to watch her close! Due Feb. 20

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
MILKMAN IS A gandson of Wyoming Wind , but sire  is Alliance an came from big cattle genetics in Canada, birth weight on Alliance  was quite big...  we  used Wyoming Wind on heifers  an had no trouble but our cattle had more calving ease than some Charolais herds, maybe not as much growth but ease of calving ...

bjkoller

Freddy.. that is good to know!  I was shocked that he was a Wyoming Wind!  Thanks for that.  Here are pics of our MM heifer calf.  She's about 5 days old in these.  Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts.  I know she's young and the pics aren't great but always like to hear from others.  I will post MM bull calf pics in next post.  Unlike her, he is a TANK!  Both cows are Double bred Unlimited Ease daughters.  Please feel free to tell me what you think.

Attachments

• fmm.jpg
    fmm.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 153
  • fmm1.jpg
    fmm1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 164

bjkoller

This is our MM bull calf.  He came easily and on his own. He is 3 days old in these pictures. The girl in the pics is 5'4", so that kind of gives you reference to his size.  I know these pictures aren't great, but hopefully you can get some idea.  The one laying down is so you can see the width across his top.  If anyone would like to see more, let me know and I will try to get some better ones.

Attachments

• hmm.jpg
    hmm.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 165
  • hmm2.jpg
    hmm2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 168
  • hm3.jpg
    hm3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 171
  • hmm4.jpg
    hmm4.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 165

Sly

looks like he is real calm. Makes me feel better amout Milkman.  I have a couple bred to him.  We hardly ever have a calf over a 100.  So, i hope he dont screw that up.