Mineral Salt

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

We feed protein tubs that have all the minerals in them. We feed a 20% during the summer while on pasture, and then a 34% while on corn stalks, and a high mag tub for when they are on wheat stubble. The tubs are $80-100 while the bags are about $20 But the tub weighs 200 wheres the bags weigh 50, and then with tubs you don't have to worry about the mineral blowing away(a big problem when you are in SW, KS) Yes Cattle need Copper, but not in high levels. Copper Deficiency's are mainly in Oregen, and the east cost.

Stihlpro

Not a wide variety of mineral brands to choose from here in western WA, but have been using Purina Wind/Rain.  Works better than the only other option (plain red salt block).  Problem is the cost just jumped to $40 a bag.............. am I insane to think this is way too much? 

hereford kid

srry to keep this going  on,... but do you think i should do loose salt or a salt block?(only for one steer)

red

I like loose mineral. they seem to consume it better.
Personally if my cows weren't such pigs I'd use a molasses babsed tub. As MLK32 calls it crack for cows.

Red

BCCC

I would use loose since I asume its a show calf and the loose should have more minerals that you need then a salt block will

DL

hereford kid said:
srry to keep this going  on,... but do you think i should do loose salt or a salt block?(only for one steer)

Get your single steer a 60 pound tub of Crystalyx Brigade and put a 4 pound brick of white salt in it

I use all year long Crystalyx Brigade in 250 pound tubs with 4 lb white salt bricks in it - I really like it - it is weather proof, easy to move anywhere on a skid steer, cows seem to enjoy it (est .25 to .75 lb/head/day for the estimated 1200 lb cow), improved forage use and fertility and there is no (zero zip) waste. It is about $0.36/pound - so that could be as low as 9 cents per day for a 1200 lb cow

http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Brigade.pdf
http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/brigade.cfm

red

DL said:
hereford kid said:

Get your single steer a 60 pound tub of Crystalyx Brigade and put a 4 pound brick of white salt in it

I use all year long Crystalyx Brigade in 250 pound tubs with 4 lb white salt bricks in it - I really like it - it is weather proof, easy to move anywhere on a skid steer, cows seem to enjoy it (est .25 to .75 lb/head/day for the estimated 1200 lb cow), improved forage use and fertility and there is no (zero zip) waste. It is about $0.36/pound - so that could be as low as 9 cents per day for a 1200 lb cow

http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Brigade.pdf
http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/brigade.cfm

they used to make a 5 gallon bucket of Crystalyx. It was perfect for show calves. Check into seeing if they're still available.

Red

klintdog

The Brigade mineral from Crystalx also comes in a 60 pound tub that is ideal if you're going to put it in a run with a few show animals.

CAB

Question to all. Why do we need to put any supplemental mineral out if the calf is eating a balanced diet? I wouldn't spend the money on extra supplements if he is on a balanced diet.
  Depending on what part of the country you are located in would determine what elements are in shortages as far as the Cu is concerned along with other elements and vitamins. Brent

red

CAB said:
  Question to all. Why do we need to put any supplemental mineral out if the calf is eating a balanced diet? I wouldn't spend the money on extra supplements if he is on a balanced diet.
   Depending on what part of the country you are located in would determine what elements are in shortages as far as the Cu is concerned along with other elements and vitamins. Brent

sometimes they still need the extra. It seems to me that cattle know when they need that extra mineral when they consume a lot or just a little.

Red

Show Heifer

I use Cyrstalyx tubs and loose Avail 4 mineral from Purina. I have used fastrack a bit and like it.
Blocks are hard on the teeth, sometimes they try and chew which grind down the teeth.

CAB

I put out mineral & trace mineral blocks to cows and keep a salt block out for feed lot cattle, but economics has to play a part in your choices. It's hard to make cows/calves work right now. I would like to know how the close out sheets are looking from this past year. Brent

chambero

We don't give our show calves anything other than what we dose their feed with.  If anything, we probably over do it with the supplements we put in feed.

On cows, we use plain old salt blocks all the time + loose mineral (Cargill's Right Now formulas) from time to time.  If the loose mineral ever gets wet our cows won't touch it.  We use it with antibiotic added to it for cows during calving and through the winter.

LazyGLowlines

We use a loose mineral formulated for our area, approx cost is 17.00 a 50lb bag, we get it from our vet who is mainly a large animal vet who specializes in cows. If you have a dairy in your area the local vet may be a source for these minerals, another source for mineral blocks is a feed mill , these blocks are not formulated for a specific area but will work, cost is about 7.00 each for 50lb block.