Mini Australian Shepherds

Help Support Steer Planet:

DGL

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with mini australian shepherds (or full size ones for that matter), and what you think of them.  I'm looking to buy one and just wondering how big they actually become, if they still have their herding instincts, etc. I like the thought of a smaller dog, but I do not want to buy one that belongs in my girlfriend's purse because it does no good there! Also, if anyone knows of any reputable breeders I would love to take a look at their website, give them an email or a call. Thanks all!

Doc

I've had Aussies all my life. I wouldn't have any other kind of dog. When my dtrs started wearing me out to get a house dog because their cousins had one, I had to give in. I told them they could get one as long as it wasn't a little foo-foo dog.Our vet hooked us up with a person that had a mini Aussie & we found out where they got theirs & ended up with one also. She is a blue merle that weighs about 22 - 23 lbs & about 22 inches tall. When the girls run thru the house she will try to heel them. I haven't taken her around the cows because quite frankly my wife & dtrs would probably be more ok with me getting kicked in the head than the dog getting kicked.
I like the mini's better than the toys. Mini's are about the size of mine & toys are I think about 12 inches tall.
Hope this helps!! I don't think you can go wrong with an Aussie.

DGL

Thanks Doc, I appreciate the input from an owner! I had an aussie when I was young, but too young to remember really if it was any good with cattle are anything. I definitely am not looking for a toy as I think that they're much too small for me. Do you find that your dog would be/is big enough to work with cows if you used him/her for that purpose? I understand that you don't but I'm just wanting to make sure that I don't get too caught up in the "mini" aussie's if they're going to be too small, as compared to just a normal typical aussie.

PS I love the fact that you have a blue merle. I think either of the merle's, red or blue are just the coolest coloured dogs around.

Earthmover

We have a red merle who is a cattle dog. He herds, drives, and bunches. Always between me and the cows. He started out as a header but in the past few years has really become a complete dog. Don't get in to big a hurry because they are late maturing and really don't get good till there about 4.

M-n-M Cattle Company

We have a mini, and she is just know 4. We love her to death!!! She has all the herding instincts as the full size ones. But as said before it takes them awhile to come into themselves. We actually had her out working the cattle today with the full sizes and she keeps her own. And I can say that she has all the heart in the world. And she is really great with kids and "most" other dogs. Hope this helps and sorry its so random.

Doc

DGL said:
Thanks Doc, I appreciate the input from an owner! I had an aussie when I was young, but too young to remember really if it was any good with cattle are anything. I definitely am not looking for a toy as I think that they're much too small for me. Do you find that your dog would be/is big enough to work with cows if you used him/her for that purpose? I understand that you don't but I'm just wanting to make sure that I don't get too caught up in the "mini" aussie's if they're going to be too small, as compared to just a normal typical aussie.

PS I love the fact that you have a blue merle. I think either of the merle's, red or blue are just the coolest coloured dogs around.

Yes, she would be big enough to work. I like one that is a little smaller in my fullsize dogs even , because they have less chance of getting kicked in the head if they are heeling. If they have the will & eye & grit to work , you don't need a Newfoundland to work cattle.

DGL

So Doc what would you compare her in size to? Im picturing her smaller than a border collie but bigger than a blue heeler. Would this be an accurate description of her size?

rtmcc

we have a full size Aussie that is same age as our oldest daughter, 10.  There is no better family dog than an Aussie.  I have had Border Collies and love them but the Aussies are great all around dogs.

Now he may not even come off the porch for me but if those kids crack a gate any were on the farm he is there at their side before they get it unlatched all the way.  They can gather cows out of a pasture or move them in the alley faster than I can because "Chance" acts like a world champion for them.  I think he would literally take a bullet or a bull for them.  It will be a long sad day when his time comes.  Our third child is due in June and I am sure happy that Chance is still young enough to raise one more child. 

If I had taken the time when he was young like I had with my Borders I think he could have been a great cow dog.  But I could never train a dog to be a better companion and guardian of our kids than he  is!

Get a good Aussie.  You wont regret it.

Ron
<cowboy>

DFSC

We raise toy/mini aussies. Our full grown male weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 pounds. He does not know that he is a toy/mini.  He loves to fetch, will swim in the pool or tank, will jump in the truck when you ask him if he wants to go for a ride, and will herd the cows and chickens. He is great with children and is as athletic as they come. Our female, on the other hand, is just laid back, does not like to swim, but has an awesome disposition. We have pictures of our previous litters if your interested.

Thanks,

Jordan

crcattleco

I have had two mini aussies. Both are very smart and GREAT dogs! One has good hips and one does not. Make sure you buy one from a repuatble breeder.

lightnin4

I have 3 full size Aussies and love them.  They are some of the most attentive and easiest trained dogs I've been around.  I have a friend that owns 2 toys and a mini.  The toys are about 12 lbs. and can herd like a big dog.  Her mini is just a pup so we don't know what it will do yet.  Most minis I've seen dont get above 25 lbs.  Attitude and trainability is the same as a full size.

jallen

I raise mini and they do just as good as full size. Maybe better for when the cow trys to kick there short enough it goes right over them. They also fit really nice in the house and truck. I hope no one thinks i am picking on the full size we had them as well but just really like the mini.

CAB

Jeff Maas may have a litter for sale. He has a web-site. You can find it on showsteers.com.