Miniature Panda Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

SECLLC said:
No where did I say I was infringing on the Panda Cow trademark-- it was just the fact that the "Panda Cows" hit the news on New Years Eve as having "only 24 in the whole world" and then my cow threw one that was nearly just like it-- WHAT ELSE COULD I CALL IT? If YOU call them "panda cows" and mine LOOKS like a "panda cow" then don't you think that others will call him a Panda Cow too? In NO way am I saying that mine is associated with the registry, or am I "advertising" him as with the registry! IF ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAD SUDDENLY AND SURPRISINGLY DELIVERED A PANDA LOOKING COW JUST WHEN THE NEWS WAS SHOWING THEM, WOULDN'T YOU FIND IT FUN AND INTERESTING TOO? And for who ever that was that posted all the legal mumbo-jumbo above, the first thing that I did was write to the breeders of the REAL panda cows and tell them of mine-- in a nice and friendly manner-- not as a way to usurp their authority of the breed. I am only a happy new calf owner, not a criminal with "fake cattle." His markings are real, not painted on, how do you get around that fact? If my cow did wrong, arrest her, lol.

A grade Quarter Horse is still called a Quarter Horse! Haven't seen any one blow up over that one yet!

My cow is 3/4 mini angus and 1/4 mini belted galloway, bred to a PB mini hereford bull. That was what I had, I did not plan this in the least, and had no previous knowledge of the Panda Breeding lines, or even of the "Panda Cows." My husband and I both quickly agreed that the genes/alleles? for the white in the hereford caused the recessed genes in the BG to come out strong in this baby. We aren't even scientists, go figure. We were pleasantly surprised, and the first thing I did was go to a Belted Galloway website to see what traits they can throw. Thats how "in the dark" we were over the "Panda's." IF you go to their website and see what their first "accidental" calf came from, it was a 3/4 black dexter, 1/4 BG bred to a hereford--- wow, how many others out there have that breeding in their pastures waiting to hit the jackpot with a (non registered mind you) "Panda Cow" also? I just think it should be noted that there are "others" out there, whether on purpose or accidental, a Belted Galloway can very easily throw her traits onto a mixed breed and come out with a cute baby. So what do we call them?

I did not mean to offend anyone-- it was just a newsy bit of information that I thought others would enjoy.....

I don't know if you are addressing me, but if so, I am not sure why.  All I did was post info directly from the Panda website because I thought that it was bizarre & it would add to the conversation.  And it looks like it did just that.  In fact, it looks like we agree on this subject.  I thought that my last line made it clear that I thought that the whole thing was bizarre, pointing out that the Breed Society was "a division of a farm", etc., but I guess not.  Sorry for the confusion.         

SECLLC

Sorry... Didn't meant to come off "on you," I've just heard this before-- Guess I'm just covering myself. No hurt intended. It is a strange subject matter, when someone puts a monopoly on a "color trait" and then makes it into a breed, then has the audacity tell you that you can NOT have any part of it, but its bound to happen. I am honestly hoping she'll do it again with the next calf. They are quite pretty, and I'll have to come up with another name for them if she is prone to do this. You know, there is the "Buckskin" registry that is for color, but it is a registry that tends to run in the stock horses (QH), though you can get a bucksking in quite a lot of breeds and mixes of horses. It runs along the same lines of my thinking-- I am minus a registry to promote my calf(s), but it doesn't hide the fact that it is the same color as the registered ones. These Panda Breeders, to their merit, say they have "perfected" the breeding so that they will always throw the color. After 40 years I imagine that does make it a "true" breed when you can clearly predict the outcomes over and over again. That is something to brag on for sure, and for that I can see why there would be offense. I on the other hand can not guarantee that my cow will always throw these colored babies with each hereford breeding (but I'm hoping!) ;)

knabe

i wonder if panda's were asked for permission to use their name for a stupid lawsuit generating, no real service or product providing gimmick.

SECLLC

lol-- thats a whole other can of worms!
By the way, I love all the pictures of the beautiful cattle posted on here... I am not "new" to cattle, but my family is new to raising the miniatures. We are really enjoying every aspect of them. I see the speciality mini's, ie, the Pandas, the super tiny mini's and such as being in the place the miniature horses were 20 or 25 years ago-- rare and super expensive. Does any one remember how expensive those miniature horses were back then? They were running in the high dollar range because they were relatively new and very rare. Now you can find a miniature horse on nearly every farm corner, unregistered and not really cute any longer. In 20 years all these speciality cattle will lose their novelty and something new will be developing. Hmmm, wonder what? My cattle aren't anything "special." We raise the mini herefords for the sole reason to feed our family easier, make a few dollars now and then, and for the enjoyment of it. The one cross mini heifer that I bought turned out to be  the prize. Isn't that crazy?

(And I too own 2 mini horses-- registered and from nice bloodlines... and don't do a thing with them...lol)

Thanks for all the comments everyone... Good luck and may God bless all your farming endeavors!

knabe

how about naming real size panda marked cattle giant panda's then everyone would know the difference.

one could also name them red panda if one had red one's clearly distinguishing them.

one could also use some of the scientific name or a spin on it.

Ailuropoda melanoleuca meaning black and white cat foot.

one could name panda marked cattle cat foot and really confuse the issue.

SECLLC

knabe said:
how about naming real size panda marked cattle giant panda's then everyone would know the difference.

one could also name them red panda if one had red one's clearly distinguishing them.

one could also use some of the scientific name or a spin on it.

Ailuropoda melanoleuca meaning black and white cat foot.

one could name panda marked cattle cat foot and really confuse the issue.

I think on the Happy Mountain website there was something mentioned about the developing of the "Red Panda" cattle. Oh well. And my sister came up with the calling of our "illegal fakes" lol, as "Bear Cat Cattle" which is what Panda means in Chinese, or to call them "Xiong Mao" cattle, that is Chinese for Panda. lol. I'm not calling it anything but what it is. A cute little mix.

SWMO

"Remember When"  llamas, emus, ostrich's etc were hot.  The beginnings of the pyramids got well and the bottom of the pyramid just got another mouth to feed and no place to market their pet oops I mean product ;)

mrs panda

:mad: i have just done a search on the miniture panda  trade mark on both the u.s and australian trade marke regestry, the australian site said the name has been de registered and i can find no listing in the u.s
sure this minititure panda trade mark isnt a fake?????

frostback

mrs panda said:
:mad: i have just done a search on the miniture panda  trade mark on both the u.s and australian trade marke regestry, the australian site said the name has been de registered and i can find no listing in the u.s

Did you use the correct spelling of MINIATURE or what you used in your post? It might make a difference, not sure though.

mrs panda

SECLLC said:
Sorry... Didn't meant to come off "on you," I've just heard this before-- Guess I'm just covering myself. No hurt intended. It is a strange subject matter, when someone puts a monopoly on a "color trait" and then makes it into a breed, then has the audacity tell you that you can NOT have any part of it, but its bound to happen. I am honestly hoping she'll do it again with the next calf. They are quite pretty, and I'll have to come up with another name for them if she is prone to do this. You know, there is the "Buckskin" registry that is for color, but it is a registry that tends to run in the stock horses (QH), though you can get a bucksking in quite a lot of breeds and mixes of horses. It runs along the same lines of my thinking-- I am minus a registry to promote my calf(s), but it doesn't hide the fact that it is the same color as the registered ones. These Panda Breeders, to their merit, say they have "perfected" the breeding so that they will always throw the color. After 40 years I imagine that does make it a "true" breed when you can clearly predict the outcomes over and over again. That is something to brag on for sure, and for that I can see why there would be offense. I on the other hand can not guarantee that my cow will always throw these colored babies with each hereford breeding (but I'm hoping!) ;)
I DONT EVEN THINK THAT HAPPY MOUNTAIN PANDAS DO BREED TRUE.. CLAIMING ONE CALF TO BE A PURE BRED PANDA  WITH A HEROFORD MOTHER NURSING!!!!!

mrs panda

frostback said:
mrs panda said:

Did you use the correct spelling of MINIATURE or what you used in your post? It might make a difference, not sure though.

lol yes i spelt it right the only thing i found on the australian trade mark registry was a australian miniature panda cattle trade mark that expired in 2003....
were does happy farm pandas stand if false advertising a non current trade mark!
i think they might be all bluff!

justme

I seen it in a magazine.  $30,000 and it can only be sold for a pet!  I'll stick to my dogs!

knabe

i want to eat it, not sit and stare at it and stuff it as i don't want the poop on my carpet.

maybe the stuffed animal can be used for a restaurant novelty display.

maybe i can open a chinese restaurant with tiny whole medallions of loin in my pho soup.

i can call the restaurant tired panda bovine.