MiraFount water freezing

Help Support Steer Planet:

nck21

We have had a mirafount for 22 years, the other night it was -4 here and it was fine but you have to have enough cattle to keep good flow. One thing i do in extreme conditions is put vasaline around the rim where the balls fit it will keep them from freezing shut.

walter

I have had a mirafount for over 10 years and it has never one time froze. the temperature here is low as 0 to -20 and that is not wind chill. The tank sets on top of a hill out in the wind. Mine has four holes , when it gets real cold I only us two and let the other two freeze shut. I just use my hand in the morning to make sure they are free.Clean the ice off around the two balls every day or so. Ajust the balls so they are just up tothe tank top so no air gets in and no more. The bigger you dig out the hole under the tank the more heat you will have. Make sure the tube under the tank has no hole in it or you can lose heat. I run 30 to 70 cows in that pen. Hope that helps.

J

JTM

With this ice storm we have lost power to our house and barn. The mirafounts are not working obviously without water pressure. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get them thawed when the electric comes on? We have a generator I can hookup but the one waterer didn't fill when I turned on the water pump. Poured two buckets of hot water in the waterer but nothing happened. Thanks.

CAB

JTM said:
With this ice storm we have lost power to our house and barn. The mirafounts are not working obviously without water pressure. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get them thawed when the electric comes on? We have a generator I can hookup but the one waterer didn't fill when I turned on the water pump. Poured two buckets of hot water in the waterer but nothing happened. Thanks.
You'll have to just keep trickling hot water over the valve & down the supply pipe until you get it thawed out. I was just reminiscing about the old Mirafount waters today as I was breaking the ice on my Cobbett. Sorry for your troubles, but it will thaw out. Does your Mirafont have the access door to the valve and supply line? I always hated have to unbolt the top and ruin the seal in the process.

J

JTM

Yes, our waterers have the access door to the valves. Fortunately, the waterer ended up thawing out. When I poured the two buckets in, the ball was close to the top and I think over time the ground air thawed it out. I think it froze because they drank it down and there was no water to fill back. I wonder if there is a good protocal to use when the electric goes out. Like a guard to put around the ball so they don't drink anymore and the ball freezes up therefore keeping the valve and tank thawed. I'm not sure. Thanks for the advice CAB, I will try that in the future if needed.

firesweepranch

I'd shut off the water, so if they do drain it all water is drained from the line and it can not freeze. Since we adjusted the ball height like someone here suggested, ours has not froze since (knock on wood! Been sub-zero weather the last few days, we are still good!

CAB

JTM said:
Yes, our waterers have the access door to the valves. Fortunately, the waterer ended up thawing out. When I poured the two buckets in, the ball was close to the top and I think over time the ground air thawed it out. I think it froze because they drank it down and there was no water to fill back. I wonder if there is a good protocal to use when the electric goes out. Like a guard to put around the ball so they don't drink anymore and the ball freezes up therefore keeping the valve and tank thawed. I'm not sure. Thanks for the advice CAB, I will try that in the future if needed.
Glad to hear that it thawed out for you. Have a good day.