Mixing Ration

Help Support Steer Planet:

Quello

My son is looking to start mixing his own feed.  His ingredients for a 2000 lb mix includeds 400 lbs of cotton seed hulls.  Were we live they are extremely hard to come by.  I was wondering if there was something that he could use in its place.  Thank you for all advice!  <rock>

sackshowcattle

If its something he really wants to feed try local dairies. quite few of them ship in truck loads of either the hulls or whole cotton seed. As long as your not out there every week or getting a huge amount of it they will usually sell you what you need if you tell them its for 4-h.

showsteerdlux

sackshowcattle said:
If its something he really wants to feed try local dairies. quite few of them ship in truck loads of either the hulls or whole cotton seed. As long as your not out there every week or getting a huge amount of it they will usually sell you what you need if you tell them its for 4-h.
Please don't substitute whole cottonseed for hulls. 2 very different commodities. On substitution, maybe soy hulls, or increase the beet pulp.

Quello

Can I use Barley in plase of cotton seed hulls?  His ration does not call for beet pulp but if it call for 400 lbs of cotton hulls how many punds of beet pulp should he use in its place?