Mo Better calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Wisrose

Tried to get a blue roan out of our Shorthorn.....Nice heifer though. Opinions?
DSC03818.jpg

Day old
DSC03840.jpg

2 weeks old

simmangus45

Calf looks good, but isn't Mo Better supposed to be Homozygous black.  The calf should be black instead of red???

Till-Hill

Yes Mo Better is homo black. If you are 100% certain it is a Mo Better calf I would be calling the Genex boys..........I have used alot of him and I'd guess that isn't a Mo Better calf

Wisrose

We only AI, no bull around. The guy who Ai's for me gives me the straw when he's done just so I can verify. The straw said Mo Better. That's why I picked him (homo blk). Son wanted a baldy-blue roan Bull calf. At least she's alive and looks good.

LN

The calf looks black to me.

I didn't know Mo Better was a carrier of the spotting gene.

simmangus45

I have a Mo Better daughter at my place that does have that exact color pattern, only she is black and white, not red and white.  I am still questioning the Red color though???

Wisrose

Color is right in the photo. Kinda like dark chocolate.
DSC01269.jpg

Yearling picture of the dam. Reg. Shorthorn

TJ

To me, the calf looks brownish in the first pic & more of a dark chocolate in the 2nd pic, but certainly not red in either.  BIG, BIG difference between this calf's color & red.  I have no doubt that the calf could be from a homo black sire. 

rtmcc

TJ said:
To me, the calf looks brownish in the first pic & more of a dark chocolate in the 2nd pic, but certainly not red in either.  BIG, BIG difference between this calf's color & red.  I have no doubt that the calf could be from a homo black sire. 
What he ^ said.

Ron

Wisrose

My son wants to show her in a few shows in Wisconsin next year. Can she be registered as a %Simmi or Shorthorn? Not familiar with registering anything but Herefords. Would it be worth it?

Diamond

She can be reg. Both, as far as color I had the same thing happen, homo black bull on a red cow, calf started red and now is a deep brown, with black in spots, I think as she grows she may turn red