Mo Magic

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

Outstanding bull himself, but wondering if anyone has seen calves or better yet used the bull themselves.  Looking for the right Simm influenced bull to use on some registered Angus cows, calves will be used as replacements to make club calves, but should be good cows also. 

CAB

JMO, but if your goal is club calf mommas, you almost need to consider highly using a 734 son like 3C Macho or whichever 734 son excites you the most. There are plenty to choose from.

BadgerFan

CAB said:
JMO, but if your goal is club calf mommas, you almost need to consider highly using a 734 son like 3C Macho or whichever 734 son excites you the most. There are plenty to choose from.

Which do you suggest?  I'm just doing a little early casual research.

bs372280

I strongly disagree.  Mo Magic is an excellent choice on producing top producing females and bulls.  I know a lot of people really didn't use him much.  I'm the only one around here that used him and have great luck with him.  The first year I bred five cows to him and all produced an above average calve.  One bull was a pasture standout.  Out of a Picasso/6807 cow.  The bull was really denver bound.  The day we weaned a cow jumped on him and landed on his back knee and it never did heal and had to shoot him.  4 out of them top five calves weaned 100 pounds heavier then anyother calves.  I use many simm. simm/ang bulls and I know this bull can stand right up with the best. 

Simmgal

I have heard that Cut Above or Fat Butt has been throwing some that are pretty stout with decent hair. I have one in the oven, but I haven't seen many other calves out of him. I do like Upgrade though!

LostFarmer

There are several good meyer sons that will make a clubby mama.  Try Backlash or Tool.  Both full siblings to Whiplash who was a mama maker of the best kind.

Fat butt is one that I am just not sure about.  He works well on harder made cattle to soften and add hair.  He will make them stout and maybe a little moderate in what I have seen.  I know a breeder that ran the FB on some pure simi cattle and had good success.  One heifer did a bunch of winning for him.  Then Willie Morris picked up the bull and he took off.  There is a bull that is a full sibling to Fatbutt that is from a following flush.  They call him Final Cut.  The bulls breed a little different from each other.  Final cut is a little harder made and not as moderate.  He is a real meat wagon.  I have 5 units of Fatbutt in and 9 of Final Cut in.  I will be able to give you a little better idea of what worked and what didn't about June. 

coachmac

We have a fat butt heifer that is two months old.  Email me for a pic if you would like.  We are pretty happy with her. 

plattevalleysimmentals

I tried mo magic this year, and we had a phenominal bull calf out of him that we have loved since he hit the ground but now he is starting to fall behind in terms of performance and that is not coming from the cows side, she usually has the heaviest ww and yw bulls for us. Really though if your not after raising bulls for commercial buyers, i would say that Mo Magic is a good choice, really like the look of his calves and they hit the ground running. For what its worth i think he would be fine for females.