Monopoly or Walks Alone

Help Support Steer Planet:

john91

For those of you who have had calves by Monopoly and Walks, which ones did you like better?

DLD

Each of these two bulls works best on different kinds of cows, in my experience.  For stouter, tighter wound kind of cows Monopoly works better, on more refined cows Walks Alone is the better choice.

Showgirl33

I've shown one Walks Alone steer and several Monopoly steers...i prefer the monopoly steers over the Walks Alone steer because my Monopoly steers were deeper bodied and sounder. Now i'm not saying that my Walks Alone steer was bad, he just never got the depth of body that my Monopoly steers had. And he did get a little straight in his front end.

Steer4Caddy

He's exactly right.  Walks Alone is a cow changer but many I don't think are big enough.  Look good as babies but may be dinks on small to moderate cows.  Monopoly needs to be bred to neat fronted cows with some shape and muscle.  They can also be small on small cows.

chiangus

I haven't used Walks Alone, but my high sellers have all been out of monopoly.

nds

From our experience with boy bulls, monopoly probably breeds more consistently and keeps em pretty sound and big bodied.  Like said before, walks alone is a cow changer and breeds more extreme; we have had more problems with getting to "freaky" of calves with walks alone than monopoly.  All in all though, both bulls are very good and have been successful for us.  I wouldnt be afraid to recommend either bull to anyone on the right cows.

john91

Thanks for the replies! I have an Irish Whiskey x Angus cow that is real moderate and is super sound and correct but just needs stoutened up and powered up, would you recommend Monopoly or Walks alone or maybe something else. I was also thinking maybe Bojo.

Bulldaddy

I have used both Walks Alone and Monopoly.  Walks Alone really seems to power them up and make them chubby and clubby.  He is working good on my larger SimAngus cows as well as on several more moderate Char X Maine cows.  I don't have as many Monopolys but the seem to be a little softer made and not as neat fronted with plenty of hair and bone.  I have 5 Bojos and they are really soft made with super good hair.  Heifers are better than the bull calves.  I think either Monopoly or Walks Alone would work on your cow.

branson.m.

I say Monopoly all the way, dont get me wrong Walks steers can be great but if you get a heifer youd be better off taking her to the sale yard, ive never seen a good one. Monopoly is gonna be the safe way to to go, heifer or bull calf. From my experience Monopoly calves are super deep, pretty good muscled and stay good. As far as im concerned Walks is kinda a freak . Hope this will help your decisition making.

Bulldaddy

The same has been said about Heatwave females but look how many of those are in production. I like the Walks Alone heifers I have enough to hang on to them.  I think they will work nicely breed to clean, Charolais composite bulls. Time will tell.

vet tech

Possum Trot Ranch said:
The same has been said about Heatwave females but look how many of those are in production. I like the Walks Alone heifers I have enough to hang on to them.  I think they will work nicely breed to clean, Charolais composite bulls. Time will tell.

I agree. Personally I think people are jumping on WA femlaes too quickly here. I will admit in the begining I did as well, but after really thinking about it I do not see how he is too different from HW females. He is a HW x Draft Pick son x Miss perfection. Miss perfection is a Full Flush out of the famed Chill 602 cow. Personally I see his dam as a pretty good maternal based female. I know some people do not like full flush to make cows but I sure do. I have a smoke heifer that I will give a try....hope I do not eat my words later haha. Never seenhis dam or how she milks so we will see

Bishop

I would recomened walks alone.But also depends on what kind of female you have. They both would work good.

vet tech

In regards to my last post, Monopoly will, in my mind, make much more functional females down the road. There overall rib shape, soundness and fleshing ability will put them above the heat wave females.

OH Breeder

john91 said:
Thanks for the replies! I have an Irish Whiskey x Angus cow that is real moderate and is super sound and correct but just needs stoutened up and powered up, would you recommend Monopoly or Walks alone or maybe something else. I was also thinking maybe Bojo.

Another bull to consider is  Boardwalk. One of our SP members had a few this spring that had the same look. Easy feeding soft made deep sided calves. Plenty of hair to boot out of Angus xx cows.
OF the two mature bull pics WA is definitely more extreme in his make up.