Monopoly x Strictly Business Son steer... thoughts/opinions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

123moooooo

Just got my new steer, hes a Monopoly x Strictly Business Son, what are your guy's thoughts on him?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 313
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 306
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 294

123moooooo

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on ways to feed him? Right now I have him on 12 pounds of feed a day, I'm feeding show string, he weighs approximately 545-600

RAWANGUS

don't make the mistake that we did and not feed any hay at all.  we were told, "no hay."  After a brighter person told me to feed a slice or two a day, my steer gained more weight and was not having diahreaa problems.
123moooooo said:
Just got my new steer, hes a Monopoly x Strictly Business Son, what are your guy's thoughts on him?
AAOK said:

Gradually increase his grain intake to 20lbs/day

123moooooo

I g
RAWANGUS said:
don't make the mistake that we did and not feed any hay at all.  we were told, "no hay."  After a brighter person told me to feed a slice or two a day, my steer gained more weight and was not having diahreaa problems.
123moooooo said:
AAOK said:

Gradually increase his grain intake to 20lbs/day
I was told by the guy I bought him from to keep him on free hay.

AAOK

Not usually a good idea.  Many calves will fill up on hay, and not eat enough grain to grow the neccessary muscle mass.  One flake per feeding is plenty.  If you have the time to hang around at feeding time, don't give him the hay until he has cleaned up the grain.

123moooooo

AAOK said:

Not usually a good idea.  Many calves will fill up on hay, and not eat enough grain to grow the neccessary muscle mass.  One flake per feeding is plenty.  If you have the time to hang around at feeding time, don't give him the hay until he has cleaned up the grain.
He typically finishes his grain before he even touches his hay, so I think we're okay on that part.

123moooooo

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed this guy? I'm feeding him 12 lbs. a day of showstring cattle feed.

hntwhitetail

123moooooo said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed this guy? I'm feeding him 12 lbs. a day of showstring cattle feed.

I would gradually increase his feed a little bit everyday....  To make him eat better, after say 10 to 15mins if he hasn't eaten it all... take the feed away.

123moooooo

hntwhitetail said:
123moooooo said:

I would gradually increase his feed a little bit everyday....  To make him eat better, after say 10 to 15mins if he hasn't eaten it all... take the feed away.

Thank you. Do you know of any ways i could get him to walk for me? I can tie him, use the blower ,and brush him and he could stand there for days, but when it comes to walking he is cemented to the ground! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

hntwhitetail

123moooooo said:
hntwhitetail said:
123moooooo said:

Thank you. Do you know of any ways i could get him to walk for me? I can tie him, use the blower ,and brush him and he could stand there for days, but when it comes to walking he is cemented to the ground! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Can you tie him to a hay wagon and pull him around w/ a tractor while you are sitting back by the rope or walking w/ him??

123moooooo

hntwhitetail said:
123moooooo said:
hntwhitetail said:
123moooooo said:

Can you tie him to a hay wagon and pull him around w/ a tractor while you are sitting back by the rope or walking w/ him??

I keep him at my school farm, so the only way I can walk him is by walking him by myself.

Sassy2899

I used to feed my steers at least 2% of their body weight.  I would also time them to see if they clean it all up in 30 minutes.  This told me whether I needed to increase or decrease the feed ration as well.  Hope this helps.

123moooooo

Sassy2899 said:
I used to feed my steers at least 2% of their body weight.  I would also time them to see if they clean it all up in 30 minutes.  This told me whether I needed to increase or decrease the feed ration as well.  Hope this helps.

Thank you! I will try this tomorrow morning!

123moooooo

Okay. So right now he is standing pretty narrow. And when I try to widen his stance, he starts turning his right hoof out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

123moooooo

Do you guys think I should start feeding some expando? I have a jackpot show coming up pretty soon.

kidsandkows

If he is not walking for you, I would suggest starting with the least stressful method possible which I would think would be having mom/dad/friend walk behind him and push a little or twist tail. But only apply enough pressure for him to move and then when he does back off the pressure. Just take little steps too. I dont know how much he is leading but for instance if he isnt at all, and you pressure him by twisting his tail or whatever and he takes a step stop and praise and scratch him. Start slow and add to it when necessary.

Honkomp

Do you keep him tied all day?  I have a steer that I was tying during the day and loose at night.  He got pretty bound up, so I catch him and lead him to feed and work on showmanship stuff but let him loose the rest of the day and over night.  Giving him the exercise seems to have "loosened him up" and he leads better to.

Nice steer, good luck with him.