Montecito calves ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jd720

Just wondered how the Montecito calves are looking ? I`m sure someone on here has calves out of him any pictures you would like to share would be appreciated. Thanks

firesweepranch

I know Scott has (SCowger on here), he sent me a few pics on my phone. Our first is due November 1st, and she was a bred bought at the Shoal Creek sale in the Spring. I do not think there are many calves out there yet, I think this fall might be his first calves!

leanbeef

I'm curious what those calves look like as well... Be interesting to hear any comments.

SCowger

We just took sale pictures of the first Montecito calves that sell on November 23 at the Livin the Dream Sale.  As soon as I get those back I will get them posted and look forward to your feedback.  We appreciate the interest and support of everyone that used Montectio and really excited about his progeny.  So far all of the calves have come easy, square hipped, good fronted and well received.  Stay tuned we should have the picture up soon.

Pleasant Grove Farms

We had six born last March.
Two are solid black really great bull prospects.
All of the calves are growthy, stout, big topped, big ribbed but if
there is a drawback to this bull, be sure and use him on solid black
cows for a generation or two;
he will color them up with white legs, white belly and white face....
got a couple of them too!
good calves but can't sell bulls with color like that.

leanbeef

Really?...Those bulls would be perfect on a herd of Angus cows if somebody wanted to make baldies. I know people think they want baldy bulls to make baldy babies, but it doesn't take a genius to find out pretty soon that a baldy bull out of a solid parent and used on solid cows does not produce a high percentage of baldies. I would buy a good white-legged bull right now in a heartbeat! I actually have one that's perfect for my situation except he's too young to use when I need him...

Pleasant Grove Farms

the commercial guys out here won't buy white legged bulls.....
they want to keep all the black on their calves they can.
pretty sure it is all about demand at the sale barn; the feedlots like those large
uniform sets of solid black calves.

leanbeef

I get that, and those bulls don't belong on Simmental cows or other cows that might have a spot gene, but on Angus cows which DON'T carry a spot gene (which is recessive), a bull like that would sire black baldies & blazes...NOT spotted calves. It's the same concept as running a Hereford bull on Angus cows or vice versa...nobody would be afraid those calves would look like one parent or the other...we know that mating will produce a black baldy calf with great consistency & predictability. Since we don't know as much about some of the genes that cause spotting or blaze faces, it's more difficult to predict for our commercial customers what will happen, but we know what Angus genetics will dooms far as color patterns, and my theory is that the baldy & blaze genes in Simmental are connected to the spot gene. If that's true, a bull that's homozygous for spotting will pass that gene to every calf, and on cows that DON'T carry a spot gene (which is recessive), we would be able to predict a high percentage of blaze faced calves. What would be more uniform than a whole calf crop of black, blaze faced babies? I admit it will take a progressive commercial guy who understands genetics and is willing to trust in that theory...I just wish I had about 50 Angus cows and a black & white spotted, homozygous black bull with goggle eyes. When I find that bull, I'll feel like it's Christmas morning! Lol

Pleasant Grove Farms

I am sure we will have one for you born maybe even yet this winter....
more Monecitos coming in Nov.!!!
(used on cows that can spot cause didn't know yet when we used him
he was a spotter)....

they are very good calves;
if you want, we can keep you in mind!

firesweepranch

Gee, we can sell bulls like that around here also. We just sold a Rendition bull that has white back feet, white belly, and a lot of white on the face, and he was only 11 months old. I guess it just depends on where you live  ;D
No red bulls, they are a bit harder to find buyers for around here....

leanbeef

Yeah...I think you have to know your customers and be careful about where you place those bulls, but I definitely think there's a market for em as long as this baldy thing is popular. I AI bred our Angus herd to blaze faced bulls last fall, and I have very few baldy babies this time. The one's I do have are mostly star-faced or have very little white. I want wide blazes with black around both eyes, and you can't make a high percentage of those with blaze faced bulls, especially if the pedigree is primarily solid black.

The Herdsman

I don't have individual pictures yet but here is a livestock plus ad we put together this week with pics of 3 montecito calves. we also have a handful of Montecito bulls on feed for our bull sale the first saturday in march. Along with 20 fall calves on the ground. Everyone is welcome to come thru anytime just call ahead for best accommodations. The january baldy will be in our string at NAILE aswell. please call with any questions
Andrew Lautt
RS&T Manager
620-767-2156
[email protected]

Attachments

• Montecito ad.jpg
    Montecito ad.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 290

Latest posts