Karma 327
    Positive Negative
    whoa
        View Profile
        Personal Message (Offline)

Re: scales are expensive but really informative
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »

Quote from: jbzdad on December 09, 2014, 09:39:55 AM

I only have a few cows so it has been hard to scrape together enough funds to buy a scale and chute system but finally got it done this spring.. I think I have about 7 K in the set up and even more if you count the barn it lives in

we have a few steers , heifers and bull calves at my place for the fall.

I have weighed them several times over the last couple of months and got some 2 month data this weekend... gains are all over but 2 bulls out of GVC Suh gained 3-4 pounds per day last 2 months ... A heifer out of I-80 gained 2.5 per day...

we are feeding a limited edition steer as a backup show steer... he gained 2.6 pounds daily and currently weighs 786

since there are just a few kinda hard to draw conclusions but it is really nice to  know they are growing ( and how fast)

it is really easy to run them thru to weigh  that helps

is 2.5 lbs/day reasonable?

was the limited edition steer out of the maine bull limited edition? if so, that gain seems a little disappointing.  make sure to weigh at the same time of day to account for fill of water and feed differences.

jbzdad

I posted this about scales about 4 weeks ago... we got the calves in again and weighed them yesterday...also wormed them all

#2 is  the limited edition steer had been out on stalks and getting a little supplement.. now on 20 pounds a day ... ... obviously caught up a little this month

The 5W is a Suh bull.. March calf

743 is the Texas Twister show steer and 94 is the I-80 show heifer

288 and 285 are a couple of fall borns that are still nursing and getting creep

the others are just a mixed group out on stalks and getting 10 pounds supplement daily

Attachments

• calf performance sheet late 2014 PDF landscape.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 182