Most unlikely reserve champ/thanks all for advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

cyclone38

Just wanted to give a quick update and say thank you. I asked cor advicefrom time to time and it was valuable. What started as a $250 bottle calf was named the reserve grand champion market animal at our county fair in what is a competitive show. So thanks for the advice and we hipe this is the first of many.

Attachments

• 2012-07-209515.26.26.jpg
    2012-07-209515.26.26.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 251

gary89

Cool! Last year the same thing happened at our county fair, a returning bucket bottle calf got reserve. It was a twin I raised and sold to a neighbor, beat some high dollar ones, made it a lot of fun.

Doc

Congrats!!!! Looks like you did a great job feeding him out. He looks good. Also, glad to hear that you benefited from advice on here.

SWMO

Invalidates all the discussion on changing the forum in my opinion.  Congratulations.  It is stories like this that make this such a great place.

cyclone38

Thank you all for kind comments. When we decided last fall to keep him, I thought he would have a chance to at least be competitive in class. We had a lot of luck fall our way that day and the rest is history. The young lady in the picture is the daughter of one of my best friends and they live in town and kept him out at my place. It was a lot of fun getting him ready for the fair as well and you are right feeding made all of the difference. I had some bottle calves at my place again this year and it was the 2nd year that the kids of friends of mine that live in town worked with them so not sure if we will keep one again or not. I must be doing something right though feeding those little fellers as we had the biggest and best fed bottle calves at the fair. A lot to build on I guess. We also had a 3/4 Charolais heifer get 2nd in her commercial heifer class behind the eventual reserve grand heifer that started as a bottle calf as well and have her bred to Torrington for next year. So we will see how it all turns out. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice and this board is a great resource/tool/community to learn and share. Thanks all!

Dixie

Great job feeding cyclone38 and for being someone who can and will give kids a chance to show stock that don't have the facilities of their own to get the job done! Congrats and keep up the good work  (clapping).

COWgirls

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.  Keeps us grounded in what really matters!

(clapping)

simba

Awesome job! It just goes to show that you don't need a $10 000 steer to win a show, you just need a ton of hard work and dedication. Good luck in the future!

cowpoke

Great story.I have judged many shows and always feel good afterwards when people tell me that the people that won deserve it as they are a good family that works hard.Unfortunately a few people forgot the real reason families show cattle and that in my opinion is to teach responsibility and spend quality time together and learn .Winning is fun but just having the opportunity is great too.I see too many fitters that have sold high dollar calves doing the work[helping is different]  that the kids could do.Maybe not as well but thats part of learning.Every year at our State Fair I hope that a family that really could use the $30/40K could win as it would really help towards college or help with start of something in their future but it doesnt happen very often.The steers and heifers that win are usually referred by the name of the fitter that sold them.I would be proud to say I have  raised the champion or sold  or fitted one but the kids should be our first goal.Again Congrats on a job well done.At many shows the bucket bottle calves have the most numbers so hopefully some of them will go on to show when they are old enough.

justintime

This is a great story, and you have a very good steer! More proof that champions can come from any source. Thanks for telling all of us your story... it is great to see a " good news story" once in awhile. Kinda reminds me of watching the News!