Mr. Firewater calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

AKFLPN

I have a first time heifer that was AI'd by Firewater and her due date was last Wednesday, but she has not calved yet. I was wondering if what I have heard is true that sometimes the bull can have a effect on when they will deliver.  Also wondering if anyone has had trouble useing this bull.

Thanks
Concerned for my heifer

Bulldaddy

If you know your heifer is safe to the AI date then I would induce her immediately.  Firewater is not considered safe for heifers.  Going over the due date often means a bull calf so you should expect a big calf and be prepared to assist your heifer.  I hope all goes well.

easttex

I would induce or at least consult you vet. We bought two steers for some kids this year that where sired by Firewater and was very impressed FYI. Good luck and  post some picks after she calves.

pigman

I had a first time Angus heifer that was AI to him she went 7 days over and had a 75lbs calf with no help but that was a long 7 days

leanbeef

DO NOT INDUCE! If her cervix isn't dilated, that will put her into labor but won't cause her to dilate! If that happens u will likely be doing a C-section & u could lose them both. I've seen it happen.

Watch her closely & try to be there when she starts in case she needs help. A heifer should calve within 4 hours from the beginning of labor.

Good luck!

cpubarn

The date on the origional post was a couple months ago, so I assume the process is over and we need to wait and see how it turned out.

I like the bull but am suprised people would use him on heifers, wow!

TR Mr Fire Water 5792

Mark

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Think he is pretty good bull ,will use more but will treat and watch him just like Heat Wave ...Had a heifer win her class at Nationals this summer ,small at birth as was some of the calves,but had one out of WYO WIND X UNLIMITED EASE cow that I expected big things out of ,got a 100 lb calf
with great big butt end and didn't make it ......Couldn't figure it out at alll ,one ANGUS X  CALF WAS fairly big at birth but the cow had it by her self ......Genetic's make you scratch your head ......

dscott

Had 4 calves out of him all 85 pounds or more at birth and 3 days early. 2 of them were out of maternal sib to char champion at louisville very good looking bull calves!