My Cow eats dirt.

Help Support Steer Planet:

haydude

Is it normal for a steer to eat dirt? Or is he lacking something in his diet?

haydude

Till-Hill said:
3rd that. Start her back on mineral and salt but start her slow.......

Do you mean a mineral block or salt block? He already has a trace mineral block and he does not seem to like it.

LN

What breed is your steer? I'm in the midst of worst drought ever here in Texas and would love a cow that eats dirt....j/k

lightnin4

haydude said:
Till-Hill said:
3rd that. Start her back on mineral and salt but start her slow.......

Do you mean a mineral block or salt block? He already has a trace mineral block and he does not seem to like it.
Try a loose mineral.  Some minerals are bitter and cattle don't like them.

The Show

Definitely a mineral deficiency. My calves didn't like blocks very well either, but they reacted quite well to loose mineral in a covered feeder.

3dfarms

Different areas of the country often have somewhat different requirements in mineral programs.  We feed a high mag mineral free choice in mineral feeders.  Once the cattle get the amount they need they leave it alone.  It is a loose mineral and they seem to do better with it than they do on a block.

We have also mixed it in with our creep feed or range cubes, but I think the cattle get what they need better on their own than forcing it in their diet with it mixed in. 

In your case with the calf eating dirt, I might try mixing in a high mag mineral at one 50 lb bag of mineral per ton of feed and one 50 lb bag of loose salt per ton.  That will get it in his diet.  Not sure how much per day you are feeding him but guessing he is on show ration or close to it he will get those minerals quick.  Best of luck to you whichever route you go.