MY MARKET STEER ( UDATED PHOTOS)-(UPATED PHOTOS 2)

Help Support Steer Planet:

What would you call this market animal

• Perfect animal, could win at big shows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kk

He's kind of dairyesque he needs lots of corn

taylor tay

PaFFA Proud said:
With teaching our dairy beef to lead, i used tugging motions with the halter.....if u just pull and dont release at all it will become a tug-a-war game. I also used a dressage whip(horse whip that is about4' long) to tap them on the butt when I was beside them..at first I would click to him while giving a sharp tug on the lead after 3 times if he didnt move I would give him a pop on the rump with the whip same time clicking and tugging on lhe lead to tell him to move.. did this for like 3 days and from there on my steers followed us everywhere, I never had an issue with them kicking or running away. I used this method all the time to halter break foals and it worked with cattle! <party>

Thanks for the information

Jive Turkey

beefmaster said:
Oh i am guessing that he wont do well at the couty fair right?

Correct.

In my opinion, he's not even that good of a feedlot calf.

CAB

Your calf's feed intake isn't that far off for his body weight. If there are 15 head in with him, he is eating 9.375 lbs per day. 2% of 500lbs is 10lbs plus all of the roughage he wants. Once he gets sorted down you can gradually get him up on 3% of his body wt.

taylor tay

So i have a bad calf, will he get any better? how can i make him at least a good county fair calf?

CAB

beefmaster said:
So i have a bad calf, will he get any better? how can i make him at least a good county fair calf?
  Remember it's just PPL's 5 cents worth. He'll change a bunch with good care and diligence. Also remember that some of the opinions that you are asking for are coming from younger members without a whole lot of personal experience behind them yet. Hang in there and just be a good chore person for your steer.

kk

Not meaning to be harsh he just needs to grow and get fat he can get there he just seems to be lacking at the moment

taylor tay

stunner said:
Not meaning to be harsh he just needs to grow and get fat he can get there he just seems to be lacking at the moment

I know what you mean, he does need to grow and get more feed into him. thanks for the comments

Bradenh

beefmaster said:
Thanks, we are like best friends, i am afraid though i am getting too attached.
may be your biggest problem of all right there in the end. he is a business item and you have to remember that

taylor tay

Show stopper 95 said:
beefmaster said:
may be your biggest problem of all right there in the end. he is a business item and you have to remember that
I know that I have to sell him at the end but its just hard for me.

cornershack

beefmaster said:
Show stopper 95 said:
beefmaster said:
focus on the next year's steer, when the time comes it will be hard but remeber you are not the only kid that has cried thier eyes out and decide on if you can  walk away before the trailer hauls them away, if you have to load him, or if you need to say goodbye at the end of the sale and go home to have agood old cry by yourself. every kid gets attatched to that one animal and some choose to show it some act tuff, i know there are plenty of parents that also are affected by the project animals.  either way decide before hand and stick to it. my youngest daughter has been doing it 8 years she had to load the first couple this year she couldn't, i did. some fairs don't allow you to load them. in the end you'll be fine.

taylor tay

cornershack said:
beefmaster said:
Show stopper 95 said:
beefmaster said:
focus on the next year's steer, when the time comes it will be hard but remeber you are not the only kid that has cried thier eyes out and decide on if you can  walk away before the trailer hauls them away, if you have to load him, or if you need to say goodbye at the end of the sale and go home to have agood old cry by yourself. every kid gets attatched to that one animal and some choose to show it some act tuff, i know there are plenty of parents that also are affected by the project animals.  either way decide before hand and stick to it. my youngest daughter has been doing it 8 years she had to load the first couple this year she couldn't, i did. some fairs don't allow you to load them. in the end you'll be fine.

Oh okay thanks, i am just afraid that I will get to attached and yeah,.

kp1625

Hey, It's your 1st year to show a steer.  You seem like a pretty smart kid. Take it as a learning experience, keep your eyes and ears open and learn as much as you can.  And always remember it is a business. 

LostFarmer

I don't know many kids that raise and sell them that don't have one that gets to them a little.  My sons were tough up until we drove home from the fair without their calves.  Then the 9 year old said, "I'm going to miss Harold."  At that point all 3 of us broke down.  It is okay to love them.  It is the process.  In contrast my daughter had a pig that was the other way.  She was a mean fighting biting mess of a gilt.  She was good but mean.  My daughter called the packing house the minute the sale was over to make arrangements to get that pig GONE!  She shed tears but they were happy tears.  Totally different perspective.  I tell the kids love them and care for them right to the end.  It is part of being a good steward of the land and cattle.  LF