My newest addition to my herd!

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

I just thought I would do a quick brag about the new heifer calf I managed to acquire from Newbiggon Shorthorns pictured today at 7 months.   Ynot's dam is an impressive cow who is pictured and videoed at 9 years of age. Her flush mate brother will be used by the Diamond and Newbiggon herds next spring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDhjuMrAIU&feature=player_embedded

GUNDIBRI SUPREME 46TH X-[AU]M6301503-  
    ALICE DOWNS SUPREME 27TH X-[AU]M6701524-    
       ALICE DOWNS MARY ANN 2ND X-[AU]F6201936-  
  MANDALONG SUPER FLAG X-M437910-      
        MERIWONG ROYAL GRANT X-M433385-  
     MANDALONG ROANY 20 X-[AU]F6801486-    
       LONE PINE CHERRY 1784TH X-[AU]F6201754-  
NEWBIGGON YNOT SUSAN 50Y        
       DIAMOND CAPTAIN MARK 27C X-M463603-  
     CIRCLE M GHOST RIDER 10G -M466375-    
        J J JENETICS CANDY 1C X-F661250-  
  DIAMOND MYSTICAL SUSAN 30M -[CAN]F677495-      
       HOMEDALE FLASH X-M465684-  
    DIAMOND FLASHY SUSAN 25F -F668681-    
      DIAMOND BROWNEYED SUSAN 38B -F659571-  

Attachments

• NewbiggonYNotSusan50Y.jpg
    NewbiggonYNotSusan50Y.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 273
  • mysticalss.jpg
    mysticalss.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 194
  • msflag.jpg
    msflag.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 171
  • youngflag.jpg
    youngflag.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 163

jaimiediamond

Newbiggon Ynot Susan 50Y was second in her age split at Agribition I am so proud!! It's neat that she is competitive with a sire from 1971

Attachments

• NewbiggonYNotSusan50Y.JPG
    NewbiggonYNotSusan50Y.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 285

kfacres

does progress ever occur, when stuck in the past??  

born in 71 is almost old enough, that my age and your's combined- Jamie-- still would be in infant stage of life, at the most...  

course this is coming from someone who's collecting semen on everything he can find- cuz it 'might' come of value sometime down the road into the future...  What a waste I get reminded of everyday, by the one who pays the bills...  She says, I've got 2 semen tanks FULL- plus plenty more at Interglobe- and plans to collect more... and zero desire to AI anything....

I can't say I blame her- she's right.. I need controlled...

now who's speaking in multiple directions?

jaimiediamond

I know the argument is that we should have made genetic progress and using older bulls will result in losing ground. That of course assumes that we have made progress but it also ignores the fact that never before in the history of breeding livestock have we had the ability to go back and retrieve genetics we have lost and recombine them in a new way. It is also a way to increase the genetic diversity of today's cattle without resorting to genetics outside the breed.

shorthorn 101

Why Hey there old bean, long time no see ;D The only reason that heifer looked half decent was the chickie on the halter! (lol) nah I'm just jealous, Christmas present anyone?  <rock> <party>

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
I know the argument is that we should have made genetic progress and using older bulls will result in losing ground. That of course assumes that we have made progress but it also ignores the fact that never before in the history of breeding livestock have we had the ability to go back and retrieve genetics we have lost and recombine them in a new way. It is also a way to increase the genetic diversity of today's cattle without resorting to genetics outside the breed.

it goes back to the old phrase....  and  <deadhorse> of the shorthorn people in particular...

Is it 'outcross', if it's not within ** (10 or 20 for instance) generations?  or does "outcross" mean, not in there at all, or does 'outcross' mean, not visible within the 5 generation pedigree paper???

jaimiediamond

shorthorn 101 said:
Why Hey there old bean, long time no see ;D The only reason that heifer looked half decent was the chickie on the halter! (lol) nah I'm just jealous, Christmas present anyone?  <rock> <party>

Your dreaming in technocolor again ;) At least your now able to swallow your pride and admit jealousy ;)

Cut the BS said:
it goes back to the old phrase....  and  <deadhorse> of the shorthorn people in particular...

Is it 'outcross', if it's not within ** (10 or 20 for instance) generations?  or does "outcross" mean, not in there at all, or does 'outcross' mean, not visible within the 5 generation pedigree paper???

Well in this case her dam has three crosses of Super Flag 9 generations into her pedigree which would equal .005% Superflag influence on Mystical that would make Ynot 50.005% Mandalong Superflag I would have to say that is a fairly safe assumption at being an outcross.  Regardless of arguments using a bull that was born when both my parents were teenagers seems to have really worked in this case so I won't complain!

kfacres

jaimiediamond said:
shorthorn 101 said:

Your dreaming in technocolor again ;) At least your now able to swallow your pride and admit jealousy ;)

Cut the BS said:

Well in this case her dam has three crosses of Super Flag 9 generations into her pedigree which would equal .005% Superflag influence on Mystical that would make Ynot 50.005% Mandalong Superflag I would have to say that is a fairly safe assumption at being an outcross.  Regardless of arguments using a bull that was born when both my parents were teenagers seems to have really worked in this case so I won't complain!

What's the other 49.995%... Does that make her all  <party>outcross or partial... ;) (lol)

rarebirdz

That seems silly u could go look up the pedigree of the cow but I would say the mating that produced that calf is a outcross y does it matter so much?

Jd she looks good congrats

rarebirdz

Cut the BS said:
rarebirdz said:
That seems silly u could go look up the pedigree of the cow but I would say the mating that produced that calf is a outcross y does it matter so much?

why does your comment matter?

Your info says your 24 quit acting like a bad tempered toddler

I like the heifer you dont but that isnt news you dont like anything

shorthorn 101

Cut the BS said:
rarebirdz said:

why does your comment matter?

The fact that one can go back and look up pedigree's is a useful thing. Now it's not for everyone but there are a few of us geeks left that like to do that. It shows what cross's worked in the past and how to better them in the future. As for pulling back genetics from the past it worked well in this case. As for what percentage she is what percent is any breed, she is close enough for me.