Mytty in focus

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

If MYTTY in Focus is a genetic defect carrier the Angus breed is loaded I assume. He was the no. 1 bull in the breed for registrations for 2008. He is page 1 in the 2009 ABS catalog. I wonder which side he got it from if he is a carrier. Also if bando 598 is also a problem for a defect how will this affect the Angus breed? I know I have heard 2 commercial bull sales advertising sons of myyty in focus just yesterday. I don't think to many commercial guys are seeing genetic affects yet out in the country...but is this a chance for other breeds like the Gelbvieh,Shorthorn, Maintainers or whatever to increase their market share of bulls in the commercial market. Will the Angus breed be in trouble from a pr standpoint? All breeds have defects but how deep is this thing going to go I wonder? The Shorthorns are fighting off the pha and the th deal but I think the serious breeders are eliminating the problem since we now have testing for the two defects. Just throwing it out there. How about marble bone? Is it going to be a deeper deal than thought? Just interesting to me to see history unfold on the in focus bull.

bluffcountrycattle

Things would have to be pretty bad in the angus world for commercial producers to jump ship and buy shorthorn bulls.  Not saying they are all bad but but you just don't see that trend.  Angus breeders are being very proactive in getting the testing done and eliminating the problems.  I am curious to know what you think Mytty In Focus carries for a genetic defect, and where is your source of information for that?

Show Dad

AJ - According to a pedigree search (#13880818) is AMF. Now there are a few of In Focus offspring that are AMC but that is because he was used on cow which were carriers.

As for Bando 598 (#12989817) he has no results posted as yet.

Will genetic defects hurt an association or a breeder? In the short run yes. But it will depend on how they respond as to how long the damage last.
<alien>

kanshow

I went to a sale yesterday and the Mytty In Focus sons are still as hot as ever.  I don't happen to like the 'look' but beyond that, they have performance.

SD, He is free according to my research as well.

So I guess I'm not sure what is being said here or what the problem is..

klintdog

There was a post on here saying that Beever had found 2 new defects and In Focus and Bando were the two carriers. No one has been able to back this up with any kind of proof though. I'm expecting my first and only In Focus calf in about a week. I bought the mother bred this fall and she's ultrasounded with a heifer calf. I'm hoping the calf has at least a little eye appeal to it so I can sell it next year and get my money back from the cow. We don't have any Angus genetics in our herd, and I'm hoping to keep it that way :)

knabe

SD said:
AJ - According to a pedigree search (#13880818) is AMF. Now there are a few of In Focus offspring that are AMC but that is because he was used on cow which were carriers.

if it's a recessive trait, he's a carrier.

Davis Shorthorns

knabe said:
SD said:

not necessaraly, if the cow was a carrier the offspring could get it from that side.  Now if any calves came out dead because of AM then he would have to be a carrier.   

SAR

knabe said:
SD said:

This is absolutely not true.  A calf from an AMC bull and an AMC cow has a 25% chance of being AM free, a 50% chance of being an AM carrier, and a 25% chance of being a "curly calf" which is a lethal condition.  A calf where one parent is AMF and one is AMC would have a 50% chance of being an AM carrier and a 50% chance of being AM free.  Dr. Beever has established that this is a simple recessive gene.  It's just like crossing an Angus bull onto an Angus cow, that both carry the recessive red gene, and having a 25% chance of getting a red calf.  The only difference is that the red calf can live (non-lethal) and the "curly calf" will not live (lethal).

simtal

klintdog said:
There was a post on here saying that Beever had found 2 new defects and In Focus and Bando were the two carriers. No one has been able to back this up with any kind of proof though. I'm expecting my first and only In Focus calf in about a week. I bought the mother bred this fall and she's ultrasounded with a heifer calf. I'm hoping the calf has at least a little eye appeal to it so I can sell it next year and get my money back from the cow. We don't have any Angus genetics in our herd, and I'm hoping to keep it that way :)

Dr J Analyst is in the mess too.

aj

I don't know but I heard 2nd hand that it is a dwarfism deal and a fawn calf deal. These are relatively new deals so there is no tests or the official protocol hasn't run the gamate. I assume that right now they are just suspect...probables... in the process. I don't know if its a Beaver deal or a Stefen deal at the Nebraska Conental defects investigation center at the Nebraska Uniiversity or what. Apparrently there are dwarf calves or fawn calves on the ground that has caused the suspicion. That was my point that you have 3 defects to worry about now. Its not official and all the hoops haven't been jumped through but apparently odds are? If there are new defects and they are in popular cattle how deep does this deal go in the Angus breed. I guess I should have said hypothetically if this situation was the case.....    . I guess if it does go down as suspected we just hang on for the ride.

bluffcountrycattle

Here is the latest news on Dr J. Analyst...it is in the news section on ABS's website, so they are being proactive telling people of the potential problem.  They are working on the genetic testing, but am glad to see the AI stud at least warn those that may be affected.

Unusual Calf Report
February 11, 2009

Dr. Jonathan Beever of the University of Illinois has made us aware of a potential separate lethal genetic defect that may involve similar lines of cattle as those associated with Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM).  These calves display a hydrocephalus phenotype more commonly described as water on the brain.  It’s likely that some of these calves have previously been confused with AM calves. 

We recently had the first calf of this type reported to ABS.  The calf was thought to be sired by 29AN1608 Dr J ANALYST M250 and was reported to Dr. Beever for investigation.  In an abundance of caution we temporarily suspended sales on ANALYST until more was understood about this condition and the calf that has been reported. 

ABS routinely investigates any abnormal calves reported to us that appear to be genetic in nature utilizing resources like Dr. David Steffen at the University of Nebraska, Dr. Beever and the respective breed association.

Our policy has been and continues to be to label any bull that has been determined to be a carrier of a deleterious gene through either approved DNA testing or the identification of two or more calves that have been parent verified and confirmed through pathology to be affected by a known genetic defect.

Today, we received parent verification that the calf submitted was in fact sired by ANALYST.  While this condition and its inheritance are not fully understood, Dr. Beever and Dr. Steffen have also received other affected calves with similar extended pedigrees and from a wide geographic area indicating a possible genetic component.

When more is known about this condition and suspect pedigrees, ABS will communicate that information to our Representatives and customers.  We encourage you to report any unusual calves to ABS, the respective breed association and to Drs. Beever or Steffen.  They will assist and coordinate getting samples distributed appropriately for complete investigation. 

Contact Information
Doug Frank        ABS Global            608-846-8850    [email protected]
Dr. Schultz          ABS Global            608-846-6216    [email protected]
Don Laughlin      Amer. Angus Assn.  816-383-5140  [email protected]
Dr. Jon Beever    Univ. of Illinois      217-333-4194    [email protected]
Dr. David Steffen Univ. of Nebraska  402-472-1434      [email protected]

knabe

SAR said:
knabe said:
SD said:

This is absolutely not true.  A calf from an AMC bull and an AMC cow has a 25% chance of being AM free, a 50% chance of being an AM carrier, and a 25% chance of being a "curly calf" which is a lethal condition.  A calf where one parent is AMF and one is AMC would have a 50% chance of being an AM carrier and a 50% chance of being AM free.  Dr. Beever has established that this is a simple recessive gene.  It's just like crossing an Angus bull onto an Angus cow, that both carry the recessive red gene, and having a 25% chance of getting a red calf.  The only difference is that the red calf can live (non-lethal) and the "curly calf" will not live (lethal).

sorry, read it as AMC being afflicted not a carrier.

Show Heifer

This is being refered to as "hydro" calves, and have been mentioned on this site before. (Some one ask a month or so ago about the "new" genetic defect)
It will be interesting.... as much as the other breeds are bad mouthing angus, almost every other breed has used angus to "improve" or make "composites". We used to talk about double carriers... can you imagine how many defects a "clubbie" bull could actually carry?  TH/PHA/AMF/HYDRO/Dwarf...... oh my!!

I guess it will play out. I only have 1 "possible" affected bloodline, but as soon as the defects slow down so that Dr.Beever can do "complete" genetic testing on angus, I will be testing EVERY SINGLE one of my cows. Regardless of bloodlines.  Till then, I am looking forward to calving, and praying the test comes out before I have to get "elbow deep" in my cows!!!

klintdog

Show Heifer said:
This is being refered to as "hydro" calves, and have been mentioned on this site before. (Some one ask a month or so ago about the "new" genetic defect)
It will be interesting.... as much as the other breeds are bad mouthing angus, almost every other breed has used angus to "improve" or make "composites". We used to talk about double carriers... can you imagine how many defects a "clubbie" bull could actually carry?  TH/PHA/AMF/HYDRO/Dwarf...... oh my!!

I guess it will play out. I only have 1 "possible" affected bloodline, but as soon as the defects slow down so that Dr.Beever can do "complete" genetic testing on angus, I will be testing EVERY SINGLE one of my cows. Regardless of bloodlines.  Till then, I am looking forward to calving, and praying the test comes out before I have to get "elbow deep" in my cows!!!

Throw some Hereford in there and get some Epilepsy, and you'll have it all. A fainting clubby :)

aj

You could raise a club calf that was a carrier of 8 defects...that faints when he wins Denver. I am not knocking Angus. They have more carcass and other data then they know what to do with. They are the 600# gorilla of the industry. However if you study history,the Herford breed had a bull in the late 1800's called St. Louis Lad that was a carrier of dwarfism. This strain was propagated around the U.S. up through the 1930's and 40's. Dwarf calves started showing up. It wasn't until the 50's and later till any one figured out what was going on. So St. Loius Lad had 40 to 50 years to spread the deal around. IF and I say IF the Black Angus has hydro,fawn calf,dwarfism, and curly calf in their gene pool and IF it goes back 50 years on each defect, I'm just saying that it will take time to get tests developed and whatnot and that it could run deep in the Angus genetics. |I think that all the hoopla on the th and pha deal has really educated the masses and now people know what to look for in defective calves. And now with the testing and whatnot you can't hide from the stuff anymore. The commercial bull sale advertising Mytty in focus calves was a Gelbvieh sale and the bulls selling were balancers. SO...since every body is trying to look like Angus(Gelvieh,Limi's,Simmi's, what am I missing?) the Angus has bled over into the other breeds. Is there a train wreck coming. I'll admitt that I think the black hide fad deal could go down in history as a disaster for more than one reason but the defect deal is another factor. The emergence of et and a.i. has brought the defects together where before lines weren't spread as fast. I myself like the Red Angus. I have heard that since Becton has beeb a major player in the development of the breed and that they randomly linebreed...that defects would have shown up in their cattle if there are any. I am sure that there are probably defects in the Red angus also that haven't been discovered. BUT wouldn't it be IRONIC if people will be using Red hided cattle 5 years from now because all the black hided cattle of any breed was loaded with four or five defects. ISN'T IT IRONIC as the great Alanis said.  ;D

simtal

while there are many angus pedigrees affected with these recessives, there are plenty more that aren't

The angus breed will drop these pedigrees like a bad habit.

unlike TH and PHA, which are still being propagated.

aj

The Angus are great cattle. They have the numbers and the accurracies and the data. I really like the red angus. I hope they get everything figured out with the various tests and whatnot cause I think with the economy the beef deal will get real tough and we need these cattle.

aj

Dr. J ANALYST is page 15 on the abs catalog. He's a 4 star carcass bull and 3 star calving ease.  don't know Angus pedigrees but has has 1680 and ambush in pedigree. He's in top 2% in total profit index.Born in 2002.Takes a good photo.