Myty in Focus

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I was looking at an ABS deal. The Angus bull In Focus is plus 99 for yearling epd and yet plus 14 for caling ease maternal. His direct calving ease is plus 14(the very top of the chart). Are his daughters easy keepers....hard keepers......ave keepers.......? Are his offspring big or little framed? I assume he has some drawbacks but he looks good on numbers.

goodnight

aj said:
I was looking at an ABS deal. The Angus bull In Focus is plus 99 for yearling epd and yet plus 14 for caling ease maternal. His direct calving ease is plus 14(the very top of the chart). Are his daughters easy keepers....hard keepers......ave keepers.......? Are his offspring big or little framed? I assume he has some drawbacks but he looks good on numbers.

In Focus is a numbers bull. His cattle are finer boned and a little frailer made, but they do explode from weaning to yearling and scan really well. I would call them overall sound, but they are not the easiest cattle to look at. Some of the calves come itty bitty, like looking for the twin small. Females are ok, but yet you haven't seen any power cows in the angus breed out of in focus, yet. If you are looking at breeding first calf heifers, he is good. If you are looking at central bull test type of cattle, he is good.

On that ABS deal, I think the best value is in Connealy Final Product. He is really starting to come into his own. Reserve grand B&O at the NJAS was out of him, and he is just good in a lot of differnt ways.

JSchroeder

Goodnight is spot on.

If there's a better example of the 'slab sided, ugly to look at cattle that throw up great numbers' type bull, I'd like to know what it is.

trevorgreycattleco

The objective cattle or the BC Matrix cattle are also the same way. Breeding for numbers doesn't ever seem to work. Remember HARB Pendelton?  Quaker Hill Objective? I have never cared for the In Focus bull.

Mill Iron A

Agreed, flat ribbed, frail, etc. AJ I have read a little of what you have posted on this site and I know you are looking for a good "commercial" bull that will make it in your environment.  Just pass on this bull trust me, he doesn't fit the bill and there a lot of better bulls that will fit what you want and still come in numbers wise appropriately.

Till-Hill

trevorgreycattleco said:
The objective cattle or the BC Matrix cattle are also the same way. Breeding for numbers doesn't ever seem to work. Remember HARB Pendelton?  Quaker Hill Objective? I have never cared for the In Focus bull.
What's wrong with Pendleton and Objective? I know Pendleton's numbers went down but I have been using him since I was at Harrison's. My commercial producers LOVE THEM! They come easy and grow like a weed. My go to Angus bull is an Objective x 6595 and besides a little bigger bw than what I want he is my go to bull. Daughters raise a calf and can look good doing it and steers come off the cow without feed huge.

showsteerdlux

Mill Iron A said:
Agreed, flat ribbed, frail, etc. AJ I have read a little of what you have posted on this site and I know you are looking for a good "commercial" bull that will make it in your environment.  Just pass on this bull trust me, he doesn't fit the bill and there a lot of better bulls that will fit what you want and still come in numbers wise appropriately.
X2. They are some of the hardest doing cattle I have come across. They never shed out and they sure don't like heat, drought, or anything thats not the best if the best.

goodnight

Till-Hill said:
trevorgreycattleco said:
What's wrong with Pendleton and Objective? I know Pendleton's numbers went down but I have been using him since I was at Harrison's. My commercial producers LOVE THEM! They come easy and grow like a weed. My go to Angus bull is an Objective x 6595 and besides a little bigger bw than what I want he is my go to bull. Daughters raise a calf and can look good doing it and steers come off the cow without feed huge.

Objective is a lot the way I described In Focus, but with two huge exceptions. About 1/3 or better of Objective daughters will be flat awesome cows, if they are sound and can travel on their feet and legs. Not just flat awesome, but make you salivate type of awesome. He gets a lot of flack about the slab sided nature, but he has made some really nice cows. The second big exception is the disposition. Most are ok, but when you get a hot one, watch out. They are hot like kill everything in sight kind of hot. They can make a rank EXT daughter look like a kitten. Those cattle scan off the charts and grow like weeds, but you won't see many show winners out of them.

Pendleton has really fallen off in his numbers. I haven't seen enough to comment otherwise.

These cattle have a place, but make sure you know what you are using them for. If you are breeding up a bunch of cattle for show calves, you will be sorely disappointed. If you are sending them to a feedyard, you will likely be pretty happy.

sue

I ordered  Rocking Horse Tailor Made  2wks ago.  I absolutely loved this sire group at A&T  and Housh Ranches last fall. This is a Select Sires bull( tiny little ad in the catalog tword the back).
Probably not the numbers bull but  boy howdy did they look good in Hay Springs, NE  Lots of base width, belly draggin but also excellent top lines . Truly one of the most impressive sire groups I have seen .
This bull is hardly used on this side of the MIssissippi?

Moezmom

So glad this thread was started!  We were thinking of using In Focus on our heifer just because of his popularity and numbers.  What is everyone's opinion on Upgrade?  Our hope is to have something our daughter can use and not just a first calf we have to send to the feedlot.  Our friend who is helping us with the AI'ing has an ABS account so we are trying to stick with them as a supplier.  

Dvrom

We have an In Focus cow who is now 5 years old and has had 3 great calves. She is by no means frail boned. She is also the easiest keeping cow we got. Has a great disposition and always looks good. She never gets that super skinny just had a calf look. she always looks good no matter what season and what conditions. She has no issues shedding out and is very feed efficient. She is an amazing mother too.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Mytty was used a lot here in middle of God's cow country '' calving ease was the greatest and females we have used sure produce  pounds ,good mothers ......He can throw some white but most of the modern angus BULLS USED do ....Might not be the kind of ANGUS TO straighten out some of these
clubby moma's .....

trevorgreycattleco

Till-Hill said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

I'm not saying they are bad. When they first came on the scene their numbers were through the roof and they seemed to be the next 878. I always thought the Pendelton bull was cool. I just remember genex pushing him hard one year then the next he was just another bull.

aj

Thanks.....it looked like he might be a low bwt bull whose daughters calved out well. I know some people who said you need big bwt bulls in order for the daughters to calve okay. I haven't stooped to using black bulls yet!

DKT Angus

aj said:
Thanks.....it looked like he might be a low bwt bull whose daughters calved out well. I know some people who said you need big bwt bulls in order for the daughters to calve okay. I haven't stooped to using black bulls yet!

Funny stuff... last check black seems to sell on the show scene and it the feedlot... "stoop" thats funny

Warrior10

Freddy said:
Mytty was used a lot here in middle of God's cow country '' calving ease was the greatest and females we have used sure produce  pounds ,good mothers ......He can throw some white but most of the modern angus BULLS USED do ....Might not be the kind of ANGUS TO straighten out some of these
clubby moma's .....
Bingo on the white color Jamie, it was my first thought. We have a In Focus son and he throws quite a bit of white...

nate53

DKT Angus said:
aj said:

Funny stuff... last check black seems to sell on the show scene and it the feedlot... "stoop" thats funny
Black cattle are against AJ's religion? ;)

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
BLACK CATTLE are not really popular right now in the feedlots for the last 30 days ,mentioned the heat to a feeder and  asked if he was having any death lost and he mentioned it was a very serious problem with the black fat cattle ...

nate53

Freddy said:
BLACK CATTLE are not really popular right now in the feedlots for the last 30 days ,mentioned the heat to a feeder and  asked if he was having any death lost and he mentioned it was a very serious problem with the black fat cattle ...
Yea, Black is hot in more than one way!

In Focus is a lot of things (good and bad), low B.W. and calving ease (direct and maternal) are a couple things he is good at consistently (from what I've heard and seen)

DKT Angus

Freddy said:
BLACK CATTLE are not really popular right now in the feedlots for the last 30 days ,mentioned the heat to a feeder and  asked if he was having any death lost and he mentioned it was a very serious problem with the black fat cattle ...

Not sure 30 days changes 30 years... heat is part of a business we all roll the dice in