N/C 4 wheeler v. utv

Help Support Steer Planet:

luv2show21

We used to have a Polaris Foreman and liked it really well.  It had it fair share of maintenance issues though.  But, it was fun to ride and was really smooth.

ransom14

We have owned and used both.  As a family we prefer the UTV.  We use the new John Deere 825I and love it.  The Deere now has the speed to get down the road (44mph) and the tire and suspension package to go through rough terrain and mud.  Awesome for feeding, newborns, fencing, hauling, etc...  The great thing is that you can haul a second individual to help get the work done.  Also when you are done with work it is great to cruise and drink a beer while checking out what the neighbors are doing.

AG TEACHER

I have both  I have a Honda Rincon ATV and a polaris Ranger. I just sodl my old Ranger and bought a Ranger Crew.. So I guess I am on my second Ranger! If I had to pick one it would be the Ranger hands down. Safer, more versitile, haul poeple, the list is long!!! 

IMO the only choice for a UTV is the Ranger. but a good second is the Mule!  and now they both make a diesel!

cornershack

have all three polaris RTV the commercial one and the kubota UTV, and a pair of prairies. the 4 wheelers are the quick fix if you need to get there now the utv is a work horse slower but very dependable. hydrolic dump bed is priceless. and the RTV is just plain solid, becarefull about oldser models, they did have a problem pre 03 with cams, there was a recall.  good luck chosing. aslo the cab with a heater in colder weather is a life saver. our rtv as much better than the utv

LIMO

I bought a used Suzuki mini truck for half the price of a Mule or Gator.  It is 4 wheel drive and has a heater. 

AG TEACHER

Mini trucks are awesome!!! they are 1/2 the price... Unless you are an ace mechanic Parts and service are a nightmare.... Also if you are much over 6 ft tall you cannot operate it.. I cannot operate the clutch to change gears because I am too tall!

kfacres

I've been around quite a few of these options, through home and work..  at home we have a kaw. 3 wheeler.. not reccomended.., a polaris 4 wheeler (just a small one, but not good for hauling, and a JD gator..  The JD Gators are beasts...  I also worked with a Gator for 2 summers clearing trees...  put a winch on the front, and you will never get stuck, unless you are trying to...  We TRIED getting this thing stuck, every day, and only rarely succeeded, not once got it stuck on accident...  We went through mud belly deep, ponds, creeks, lakes, you name it...  About the only way was to drive through a pond 10 times and finally just frame it out.  We also drove the gator into the lake, and were still driving in water well over knee high- before we purposely killed it...  To tell  you how deep the water was, it was getting ready to come over our 8" work boots, while we were sitting on the platform in the seat- water was well over the cupholder on the floor...  Furthermore, they do not make Gators without roll cages or seatbelts anymore...  Sure you might spend quite a bit on them, but they are worth it.  Get a 4x4 though, I wish ours had wider tires, as it sinks in mud...  but pulls through every time.  the 4x6 is great for mud, as its floats, but doesn't have the power to go uphill when wet...  The 2x4 is  nice for a golf course, as it may get stuck on wetgrass.  I've always wanted to take the wide tires off the 4x6, and put them on the 4x4, then it would be a true beast..  We literally put these gators through hell and back, and they didn't tear up a bit.  Our 4x4 is a diesel, and the one at the lake was gas...  it's like comparing apples and oranges, or trucks...  just the same pros/ cons. 

at school we had a mule.. was nice, but cheaply made IMO...  always had something breaking on it, didn't have the power, despite being 4x4.. and was really light made- seen it flipped once. 

Been around a Ranger, it wasn't bad, not as heavy built as I'd like to see in a work toy.  I think these are more suited for fast speeds down the road. 

People say just get a 4 wheeler and keep your truck, but honestly, you need to combine the two, and go with it...  there are quite a few places that you either don't want to take the pickup, or can't... but the UTV's can go in a breeze.. they are also far better than a 4 wheeler as  you can haul a friend, safely... and  haul all the other crap that has to to out. 

To me... a  no brainer all the way