National Championship Game - LSU vs ????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Who do you want LSU to meet in title game?

• Undefeated Houston

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • 1 Loss Alabama Rematch

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • 1 Loss Oklahoma State

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • 1 Loss Stanford

• 1 Loss Va Tech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Loss Boise State

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason

I know we have a week left and games to be played, but as of right now, who would you want LSU to meet in the title game.

Jive Turkey

Alabama.

They are by far the two best teams and it should not matter if they played earlier in the season.

The goal of the BCS is to match the two best teams up, they are the two best teams.

Mueller Show Cattle

Jive Turkey said:
Alabama.

They are by far the two best teams and it should not matter if they played earlier in the season.

The goal of the BCS is to match the two best teams up, they are the two best teams.

Two best teams, probably. The problem lies with LSU beat Alabama on their own field. Now if Alabama beats LSU in a real close game on a neutral field, they should be the national champions? I don't think so, that would be 1 lose a piece and with Alabama's lose being on their own field. I just think that LSU will get the shaft if they loose as they had beat Alabama already. No I'm not an LSU fan, just think they will get the shaft if they loose cause there is no home field advantage like the NFL has. 

Jive Turkey

Big M Show Cattle said:
Jive Turkey said:
Alabama.

Two best teams, probably. The problem lies with LSU beat Alabama on their own field. Now if Alabama beats LSU in a real close game on a neutral field, they should be the national champions? I don't think so,

It would hardly be on a neutral field, they will play in New Orleans inside the Superdome.

As an Ohio St. fan, I can tell you first hand that any game that LSU plays in in the Superdome is a de facto home game.

Both teams have earned the right to play in that game.

This is not the first time in history that two teams meeting in a bowl game have met earlier in the season.

Mueller Show Cattle

Superdome or not, it's not LSU's home field which means that Alabama's fans will have equal chance to get tickets. There will be plenty of Alabama fans there, they are not far at all from New Orleans, 290 miles all interstate. If it was at LSU's field, there season ticket holder have first shot at the tickets, would be way more LSU fans than Alabama fans then now being at the Superdome. I just don't like the BCS system, LSU already beat them once, I don't think they deserve another chance, there are other teams with only 1 loss, if Oklahoma State did not lose to Iowa State, they would be playing LSU and that is there only loss. I'm a Wyoming Cowboy fan and grateful that they will be in there 2nd bowl in 3 years. I still like the playoff system, take the top 10 BCS ranked teams and have a playoff system, no wondering then who was the best. When a bunch of teams only had 1 loss, there will always be a bunch of doubt who the best really was.

Stewart

LSU vs whoever won the playoffs to earn the right to play them.  That is if LSU made their way through the playoffs themselves. I know, I know.......just let me dream.

twistedhshowstock

I agree...do away with this BCS balogne and have some playoffs.  Being a Louisiana native, I have to agree, the Superdome would be a defacto home field for LSU.  Its not called the thunderdome and Tiger Stadium isnt called Deaf Valley for no reason.  Louisiana fans are some of the most spirited and legendarily the loudest you will ever be around. Its that much worse when we are in our home state.  I am a LSU fan, I think it should be either Alabama or Oklahoma, Alabama is probably a touch better.  It should be a tough game if it is LSU and Alabama.  Their first match up was good and had me worried at times, but this LSU team is tuff.

jason

Stewart said:
LSU vs whoever won the playoffs to earn the right to play them.  That is if LSU made their way through the playoffs themselves. I know, I know.......just let me dream.

How sweet would an 8 team playoff system be?  It is ridiculous that we don't have one.  The BCS has dodged bullets over the years, but this year is a perfect example why we need one.  You have multiple 1 loss teams in the major conferences and only 1 will get a shot for the title.

Jive Turkey

Big M Show Cattle said:
Superdome or not, it's not LSU's home field which means that Alabama's fans will have equal chance to get tickets. There will be plenty of Alabama fans there, they are not far at all from New Orleans, 290 miles all interstate. If it was at LSU's field, there season ticket holder have first shot at the tickets, would be way more LSU fans than Alabama fans then now being at the Superdome.

I went to the National Title game when OSU played LSU and it was an LSU home game.

I also went to the OSU title game in Tempe against Miami and there were 70,000 OSU fans in the stadium.  OSU fans travel and we did not get many seats in the Superdome.

Who do you think most Saints season ticket holders favorite college team is?

Mueller Show Cattle

[/quote]

I understand that but I would be willing to bet that the Saints season ticket holders do not have the shot at those tickets this is college ball not NFL, it will be a first come first serve ticket sales with so many tickets allocated to each team. Alabama travels well, put in a national championship chance, they will travel very well. That's how you see some many fans of one team in one section. They try and keep team fans in there own area and not mix them up. There will be plenty of red in the superdome come that night.

twistedhshowstock

Big M I aprreciate everything you have said, but listen to what others are saying...OSU fans travel just as well as the Bama fans, when OSU met LSU in the Superdome they were WAAAYYY outnumbered, not to mention that even divided equally the LSU fans are pretty dang intimidating.  You dont know Louisiana and New Orleans, the majority of that dome will be LSU fans, fact, regardless of who they meet.

I dont foresee Georgia beating LSU, Georgia is a good team, but they were in a weaker conference this year, they havent really beat any powerhouses.  You have to face it, the real powerhouses of college football this year were all in the SEC West, LSU, Bame, and Arkansas.  Now the real whoa nellie, what the hell will happen now would have come last weekend if Arkansas could have gotten by LSU.  Arkansas with 1 loss to Bama, Bama with one loss to LSU, and LSU with one loss to Arkansas...who gets it then???

jason

Stewart said:
What happens if Georgia beats LSU? As the great Keith Jackson said, "Whoa Nellie!!"

I honestly don't know if it will change anything.  I still think LSU gets into the game, it might slightly devalue Alabama.  Okie State needs to roll it on OU tonight.  OU pass defense is week, but it will be a tough game.

If OSU can put enough points, I think there is a chance they can leapfrog Bama.

Jive Turkey

[quote author=Big M Show Cattle] I understand that but I would be willing to bet that the Saints season ticket holders do not have the shot at those tickets this is college ball not NFL, it will be a first come first serve ticket sales with so many tickets allocated to each team.[/quote]

Not true.

PSL holders in all pro stadiums have first dibs on tickets for ANY event held in that building, concerts, monster truck rallies, football games etc...

Even if LSU loses a close game, I still feel they deserve to play for the title.  They have played many tough games and have proven they are a superior team.

The problem for Oklahoma St. is that even if they win, they are playing a depleted Sooner squad.

twistedhshowstock

I think the only reason Houston was on anybodies radar was because they are the only team in the Nation other than LSU that went into this weekend undefeated...the problem is with the conference and division they play in there is not a team out there that is even close in quality to the others mentioned.

DLD

Jive Turkey said:
Big M Show Cattle said:
Superdome or not, it's not LSU's home field which means that Alabama's fans will have equal chance to get tickets. There will be plenty of Alabama fans there, they are not far at all from New Orleans, 290 miles all interstate. If it was at LSU's field, there season ticket holder have first shot at the tickets, would be way more LSU fans than Alabama fans then now being at the Superdome.

I went to the National Title game when OSU played LSU and it was an LSU home game.

I also went to the OSU title game in Tempe against Miami and there were 70,000 OSU fans in the stadium.  OSU fans travel and we did not get many seats in the Superdome.

Oklahoma State has never played in a national title game before.  You're thinking of OU.  The fact that Oklahoma State has never been there before seems to have a lot to do with why the BCS voters don't care to have them there now.  Bottom line is that OSU's computer rankings are higher than Bama's, and a win over OU tonight should push OSU past an idle Bama in this weeks BCS polls.  If we (OSU) lose to OU tonight, then Bama will be second in the unbiased (computer) polls.  Personally, I'd much rather see any of the other one loss teams in the national title game than to see two teams from the same conference.  That doesn't seem much like a national championship - more like a second SEC championship game to me.  Bring on the playoffs - then we can truly name a national champion.