Naughty Pine Vs. Sun Seeker

Help Support Steer Planet:

Blue25

To make good steers AND BREEDING heifers, which bull would be best in your opinion, Naughty Pine or Sun Seeker.  Based on bone, hair, and soundness and milking for the heifers.

Warrior10

We had one heck of an heifer out of Sunseeker this past year (the one in my pic)...granted she has not calved yet so we do not know how her milking will be, but as a show heifer she had it all.

farmboy

just for show heifers, Naughty Pine. as far as being a productive cow? well, I don't know but it depends more on the dam than the sire. for steers, SS can throw some flat-out unstoppable calves but is inconsistent in their make up, but you probably won't get a flat muscled pud anytime soon. Naughty Pine steers will be prettier made i think, but you'll run into some pretty damn big birth weights.

we have 2 sun seeker cows, one has enough milk for a first calf, the other doesn't, but we knew what we were getting into. We've also had 4 NP calves  in 2 years and 3/4 were over 100lbs and 2 of those were weighed at over 120. Unassisted though. really good calves.

Blue25

Zach said:
just for show heifers, Naughty Pine. as far as being a productive cow? well, I don't know but it depends more on the dam than the sire. for steers, SS can throw some flat-out unstoppable calves but is inconsistent in their make up, but you probably won't get a flat muscled pud anytime soon. Naughty Pine steers will be prettier made i think, but you'll run into some pretty damn big birth weights.

we have 2 sun seeker cows, one has enough milk for a first calf, the other doesn't, but we knew what we were getting into. We've also had 4 NP calves  in 2 years and 3/4 were over 100lbs and 2 of those were weighed at over 120. Unassisted though. really good calves.
What breed/body style where the cows that had Naughty Pine calves?

CAB

JMO, but I'm pretty sure that most PPL would agree that NP's son Eye Candy would blow both bulls out as far as replacement heifers are concerned along with better structure. Again JMO.

farmboy

ill agree with you on that CAB. I'm looking at the dam more than the sire on replacement heifers and with that galloway in there, thats the deal breaker.

@Blue25 - we used NP on some bigger cows that needed downsized and prettied up. i think we nailed that combo to. They were a few pale face daughters and a shorty cross. all the cows were fairly heavy muscled and deep bodied, sound as well. I've got some pictures ill see if i can find them.

Blue25

thanks Zach, i also heard that Sun Seeker females had a small pelvic range, have either of you noticed anything?

farmboy

well the two I have calved unassisted but they had super small calves. the one with more milk had a 50lb total solution calf and the other one had a 30lb I-80 calf. I actually had a thread about that calf if you want to see it  8) never grew like the rest of them, but I blame it on both of the parents. As far as PA goes, i haven't a clue on them, but we bred one the steery one back to yellow jacket and the cowy one back to DH2 and as fares i know, both stuck.