NCC Maine Anjou Show?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

I was looking at the catalog, and was surprised to only see 11 total consignments.  9 bulls and 2 heifers.  What is happening to the show?  There were a lot more consignments back when we used to go.

ZNT

It was a great venue, but the Maine breeders never could quite pull in the commercial cattleman from throughout the state to purchase their bulls.  We sold quite a few bulls to commercial breeders privately, but never could get them to bid when we consigned cattle there. 

Are the other breeds suffering as much there?

plattevalleysimmentals

We are in the simmental show and I am a breed rep as well for the classic and we are at 50 head total for ours but it seems like there is less and less interest from the commercial guys coming to the classic and buying a bull anymore. There has gotten to be so much fat and fluff that it makes it difficult for a commercial guy to justify coming and buying one there when he would have to melt all the fat off when he got home to see what he really had bought. On the female side the sale is still fairly strong because you can go out and show the heifer. Really we are trying to look at some different things to do to bring the commercial cattleman back into the fold and we started that by doing a commercial pen of 5 this year and have talked about other options as well. If you have any suggestions everyone that helps out with the classic would love to hear them to help bring the NCC back to what it was . Thanks

JWW

i agree that the commercial guys aren't coming to buy the bulls there; We used to take 3-5 Simmental bulls a year out there, hell even won the simmi deal and hada good shot at supreme a few years ago; but bidding price was low, commission was high, expense of going to Kearney, hotel, food etc really took any profit out it for the work involved, with feeder price being nice, its hard to keep bulls anyway. it used to be a great show, with lots of cattle and people but the current economy doesn't help either. i appreciated what Ronnette and the group has done to get people there but i don't know how to get the buyers back there  :-\  ???

JWW

CAB

I find it hard to believe that they don't @ least coordinate their schedule around the neighboring states so that PPL wouldn't have to choose between say Iowa Beef Expo and the Classic. I can't go to both @ the same time.

knabe

JWW said:
i don't know how to get the buyers back there  :-\  ???

JWW

a start would be go where they went and conform to their expectations and perhaps use those same presentation schemes at NCC.  it sounds like the show is asking commercial buyers to do all the changing.  did the bulls offer a soundness exam, breeding guarantee or was the perception of the commercial buyers that they should be showing cattle to keep the cattle show numbers up.
perhaps doing some leg work and asking what potential buyers are looking for, perhaps not an epd for amount spent on show feed and clipping.  waddling cattle (male and female) that look like they are about to calve for some reason is not enticing to commercial cattlemen.

TJR

Knabe- You said a mouthful. Right on, right on right on.

farwest

Undoubtedly the destruction of and lack of facilities the last couple years hasn't helped the classic.  The sales have dwindled some.  Some opionion would be it's a sign of the times.  There arn't the small seed stock producers in the area there were 10 years ago.  Some bigger have gotten bigger, some small have bowed out.  It would seem the sales later in the week are the ones suffering.  Shorthorn, pens of five, the chis, the maines.  Is this because the commerical cattleman is losing interest in some of these clubbier type breeds.  IDK.  Some opinions is those sales later in the week were held up by the junior showmen and their parents arriving for the junior show on sunday.  I don't know the specifics or numbers of the junior show, but i would guess it may be half what it was.  Now facilities obviously has something to do with it. Feed and fuel prices also have probably reduced the number of junior cattle doing much traveling.  Take half the familes arriving on friday afternoon and night that used to and these sales probably are getting hurt.  After all, don't they say it only takes one to make an auction.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The judges don't help this deal either , saw a breed champion last year go in the sale ring an couldn't get a bid an then the breed sold bulls for 3-to 4500 .  These judges get tied up in their society an are not picking the legitimate cattle ....