Neck Sweats

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

They're a pain in the butt to mess with... but help some if you keep at it.  Some cattle like to try and rub them off... I like the sullivans purple ones, but our steers totally tore em up last year rubbing on trees.  If you don't have anything in your pen for em to rub on you're probably good.  Leave em on several hours even over night rinse well after.  Good Luck

shorthorn heifers

kobo_ranch said:
They're a pain in the butt to mess with... but help some if you keep at it.  Some cattle like to try and rub them off... I like the sullivans purple ones, but our steers totally tore em up last year rubbing on trees.  If you don't have anything in your pen for em to rub on you're probably good.  Leave em on several hours even over night rinse well after.  Good Luck

Okay, thanks!  Anyone else?

Bradenh

dont buy it unless you need it and have a loose necked calf. we just use a trashbag and saran wrap and tape and it does fine

Bain Simmental

Id rather spend the 45 bucks then try to wrap a trash bag and saran wrap around my calf's neck. They work well but cant perform miracles you have to be persistant with them.

bart

The trash bags work well for us also! Thought we were the only cheap ones!! <rock>

Bain Simmental

neck sweats would seem easier to use to me 3 to 4 pieces of Velcro and your done and i like to turn mine out with the sweats on at night and during a show season i would go through more that $50 worth of trash bags easily.  

Simmymom1

Bain Simmental said:
neck sweats would seem easier to use to me 3 to 4 pieces of Velcro and your done and i like to turn mine out with the sweats on at night and during a show season i would go through more that $50 worth of trash bags easily.  

I agree that putting the neck sweats on the calves are a pain in the butt, but when you have a calf that needs it you have to do it!!  I was wondering why you like to put yours on at night when you turn them out?  I always wanted to do that but was afraid the neck sweat might get stuck somehow on a wire or a fencepost.  So instead I have to get up extra early to get them on in the morning, that is MY job.  Sure would be easier to do it at night.  Let me know if you have had any problems with having them on at night please.  Thanks a bunch...Lisa

Silver

Show stopper 95 said:
dont buy it unless you need it and have a loose necked calf. we just use a trashbag and saran wrap and tape and it does fine

This won't work on calves that have a lot of extra throat, it just doesn't stay in place well enough

Jive Turkey

I have to be honest, I've found neck sweats the be one of the most worthless products used in the show cattle business.

Simmymom1

I have seen a neck sweat make a BIG difference in a calf.  You have to be very consistant and do it EVERY day, otherwise they are worthless!!  It is like being on a diet for a few weeks and then blowing it in one day.  That is what will happen if you do not put them on every day!  I for one think that they are not "worthless" if you use them in the right way!  Lisa

Bradenh

Bain Simmental said:
if you spend 50 bucks on trashbags then you must not have a wallmart or dollar general in your part of the country. theyre cheap cheap and if you cant figure out how to get it on the calf? well im not gonna say it but somethings wrong there

Bain Simmental

Basically whatim saying is ive had the same ones since ive starter showing and over that time i would have used that many trash bags and i can figure out how to put one on a calf i was saying that the velcro or buckle on the sweat would make it faster
and lisa my turn outs are pipe so they cant get hung on the barb wire but there are leather ones with the neoprene lining to keep from tearing them up 

fordkindagirl

Show stopper 95 said:
Bain Simmental said:
if you spend 50 bucks on trashbags then you must not have a wallmart or dollar general in your part of the country. theyre cheap cheap and if you cant figure out how to get it on the calf? well im not gonna say it but somethings wrong there
Agree with showstopper, trashbags work just as well if not better and are much cheaper. Plus I like em cause you can control em a bit more than a set shape neck sweat.

The Show

I've always liked them. They look the best when you take it off. I use them at home all night and at shows I leave them all night, right up until time to go in the ring and just blow dry their neck.

fed_champions

I use the purple ones with a leather one on the outside to keep them from ripping it off. When at shows i leave it on over night everynight, and the day before i use a horse ingredient thats called necksweat(i think). This potion makes a huge difference. But, be sure and put it on with rubber gloves, it will burn your skin as well.