Need advice on clipper blades.

Help Support Steer Planet:

I just started really getting into clipping calves this year and when it comes to which clipper blades to use for different tasks, I'm pretty clueless. At this point in time I'm using Andis 2 speed clippers with the X-Block blades that came with it. I know that the X-Block blades are used for clipping legs with adhesive. I have heard that people use 10" blades for most of the body clipping. Any advice on what works best is greatly appreciated!

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

i like the medium blades on the body, the blocking on the leg fitting. Just keep practicing and dont clip dirty animals or it will dull out your blades. Nothing worst than showing up to clip on an animal full of dirt or saw dust. Pretty funny when i pull out the sheep shears, and tell them i would have done it with my Andis but they didnt listen to me about having their animal clean. Next time around they have their animal clean.

Pipeliner

Nothing wrong with shears! I'll grab my lazers with an X-caliber comb and a 9 tooth cutter lots of times before my little ones.  I like them both but for different things. Try a bunch everyones different.

The Show

As you clip you'll develop your own personal style, and have a preference of blades. Different people use different blades. I personally hate a #10, but its a good blade for people just starting out. I use mediums, super blocking's, x-block's, and a 5/16". I start out with a medium to shave their head, throat, brisket, and tail. Depending on what kind of hair they have I may or may not go over their neck with a 5/16. If its stringy and unworkable I'll go over it, but if its fuzzy and you can work with it I'll free hand it. After I get the shaving out of the way I switch over to my super blocking blades and don't stop until I'm done. With a super blocking if you touch it, it cuts it. There's not a lot of room for error, and I would recommend a medium in lieu of a super blocking if your just starting out. The only time I use an x-block is when I'm clipping something with glue.

I would recommend buying two of whatever you buy. That way you can continuously swap them out without them getting too hot. I have two mediums, two super blocking's, two x-blocks, and one 5/16" because it never gets used enough to get too hot. It's not the ultimate setup, but its perfect for what I do clipping only clean show cattle.

Above all else, take care of your blades. I would recommend three things, Andis 5 in 1 cool care, some kind of clipper oil, and a small brush. Use the andis while your clipping to keep your blades running smoothly, when your done brush your blades off hit them with some 5 in 1(prevents rust) and store them, and oil & clean your blades and clippers regularly.

STEER_1981

I use a 3115 Andis blade for the head, a 5/8" blade for the neck (usually), a medium blending blade for any point that is on the skin (e.g., brisket, dewlap, tail, between the front legs), and the T-84 blade for fading the butt into place.  For everything else, I use the super blocking blade. 

This is a question for "The Show": Why is the advantage to using the x-blocks for clipping glue?  I use the super blocking blade, and I think that most other people do too.  I am always looking for ways to improve my equipment choices though.

The Show

The x-block has sharper pointed teeth, and if you compare them side by side the x-block is designed differently so that if doesn't build up glue as much. The super blocking is still a good blade to use for clipping through glue, but I do think the x-block works better.

STEER_1981

Thanks, I just purchased a set of X-Blocks.  I'm looking forward to trying them.