need fat on steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

jrod

county fair is in june i have a yellow jacket steer that is 1250 lb i want to show him some before june i need to put some fat on him without putting to much weight on him any good ideas.

SlickTxMaine

Stabilized rice bran by Max E Glo does the best job that I have found.  You only feed 1-2lbs. per feeding.  I buy it at tractor supply. 

Bradenh

mabey you could drench him with golden flo ??? just give him hay so you dont tear his gut up. that may work

LLBUX

Please don't consider drenching your steer with Golden Flo. 

Chances are you'll either kill him by getting the fat in his lungs, scar his esophagus, or disrupt rumen activity and set him back.

Non-therapeutic drenching is considered to be animal cruelty.  The animal does not need it.
If the animal is not sick, leave them alone. 

Add Golden Flo or similar product to their feed at the recommended level if you want more fat on the animal.

Good luck to you!

vc

Stabilized Rice Bran and Glu-coat.
Glu-coat is high in carbohydrates.
Natural Glo is now carrying a Stabilized Rice Bran Oil, we always used the pellets but the oil may even be better to add fat.
The oil has no protien just fat.

GoWyo

Is stabilized rice bran oil any better than regular vegetable oil?  Seems fat is fat and the oils are 99% fat, but will cattle use the SRB fat differently than other vegetable fats?

vc

The claim on their web page is it is highly palatable, and a cool (wont burn them up).

I have not fed it, just the pellets and really like the results.

jrod

should i start the rice bran oil now r wait closer to june and just show him like he is so he don't get so big like i said he is 1250 now. Thank y'all for your help

jrod

where can i get glu coat at with out ordering it and is it oil