Need help battling a resistant infection...

Help Support Steer Planet:

SlickTxMaine

I have a horse that was injured last August....yes I said last August!  Ran into a tree limb, and yes I know, my husband already told me, "cattle don't do stupid things like that"!  Anyway, after three different vets, and way more bills than the horse is worth, we are still not thru with this.  Basically the first vet stitched up his head with a 3" long piece of limb still lodged back behind his eye.  This stayed in for about 3 months, causing a massive infection before I could convince the vet that something was not right.  After doing a culture I was told he has a resistant infection.  I have tried Penn. injections, Sodium injections,  Vetericyn, Woundade, Betadine washes and other antibiotics.  The wound is better now, but still draining.  He has a dime size hole just above his left eye that continues to drain nasty stuff. I flush the wound 2-3 times a day.   He was back at the vet last week, and the latest vet is out of ideas.  We are trying a ten day dose of both oral antibiotics and penn. injections.  Have been doing this for 5 days now, with no improvement.  Surely some of you cattle gurus have experience with this sort of thing, and have some kind of miracle cure up your sleeve!!  I am desperate for help at this point :(

This was posted in the wrong section....sorry.

Silver

i had something like this in one of our old horses. it was an abcess on his face so me and my brother lanced it and drained it out and gave him some antibiotics and we thought it would heal, but almost 6 months later I finally got it to heal closed after removing the abscessed tooth. So I would bet with your horse that their is still some type of wood or something in his head. and it will never heal with that in their. If it doesn't get better I would have the vet open it back up.

Camo

If there is something in there you can try to draw it out with black salve called ( icthamol). You can get it at the pharmacey. Works great!