Need help breaking Lamb N/C related

Help Support Steer Planet:

TXAG855

Can anyone tell me a good way to halter break a lamb? Or a website or something that can help with halter breaking and getting a lamb set up in the ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bernalillo4H

My little brother shows lambs and we all look forward to halter breaking.... not haha. It take several people. First you want to corner them and catch one of their legs or their head if possible. Put the halter on and lead them around for a little while. Once we get the halters on we leave the halters on the first couple weeks. Then sit near the food and wait for them to come to you, each time possible go ahead and grab the lead. They are VERY stubborn and will even not eat if means not coming near you. You also need to work with them as often as possible because they tend to forget what they have learned. As far as showing them there might be some videos on youtube, but all I can tell you is that you show them with no lead and no halter. Hope this helps. If you have any questions pm me and if I can't answer I will ask my brother.

kane1598

Of the dozens of lambs that ive shown over the years, it seems that some lambs either have it or dont. I mean weve had some that brace 100% of the time, and know how to show from day 1. But for those stubborn ones, a quick zip with a cold water hose normally gets them to push into you. For our really stubborn ones, what u really have to do is keep backing them up until they are soo sick of it that they eventually brace up against you. As far as halter breaking, the third times the charm, at least it was for us. The first and second times, the lambs resist and fall down and throw themselves around, but that third time they always seem to get the point. If things are really bad, just leave the lab tied up under very close supervision (dont leave it out of your sight), similar to a calf. Try and lead the lab without a halter, if it resists, grab the dock and give it a little encouragement. If you plan on showing these lambs competeively, we have found that some lambs become too tame and lose theyre upheadedness and natural brace in the ring. Good luck to u!

sheepinformation

Hi there - I realize this is an older post but I wanted to offer a good resource on halter breaking lambs (an article from RaisingSheep.net) which might help others struggling with this topic. It offers some good tips about how to take it slow and get your lamb used to restraint by holding them safely on a blocking stand or tying them to a solid wall and sitting next to them on a bucket so they can't flail or hurt themselves. Do this a few times before attempting to actually walk them on a halter or lead and I think you'll notice a big difference. There's also a helpful video on the page and some tips for how to coax stubborn lambs to walk forward by leading them at an angle. Hope this is useful:

http://www.raisingsheep.net/how-to-halter-break-a-lamb.html