Need Help - newly sheared steer going bonkers!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowgirl sue

Our county show is later this week and we finished shearing our two steers yesterday.  One of them is continuously switching his tail and kicking at his belly like he has flies everywhere.  He won't stand still and is even jumping some.  Normally he is fine and very gentle.  We have tried spraying him with the fly spray mixture we use regularly and it seems to help some.  Not totally.  But, after a short time (a few minutes) he is back at it.  We also wetted him down and it seemed to help a little bit like the fly spray, but then he goes back to going bonkers.  Yes, I do see a couple of flys flying around him and I guess if they land on him that is when he freaks out.  But, I don't see anyway to totally get rid of all flies and I am not even sure that would solve the problem.  I was wondering if maybe his skin is just over sensitive and if there is something we could rub all over him that would soothe it.  Baby oil?  Mineral oil?  Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.  If he continues like this, my nine year old is going to have a hard time showing him.  The other one acts like it is bothering him some, but nothing like this.  Any help and suggestion will be appreciated.  Thanks!

lightnin4

Maybe  he just needs a good bath.  His skin might be irritated due to the clipping (just like us after a haircut).

vc

My thoughts exactly, Wash him out real well, pour cream rinse on him and them blow hit dry, should help allot.

OH Breeder

cowgirl sue said:
Our county show is later this week and we finished shearing our two steers yesterday.  One of them is continuously switching his tail and kicking at his belly like he has flies everywhere.  He won't stand still and is even jumping some.  Normally he is fine and very gentle.  We have tried spraying him with the fly spray mixture we use regularly and it seems to help some.  Not totally.  But, after a short time (a few minutes) he is back at it.  We also wetted him down and it seemed to help a little bit like the fly spray, but then he goes back to going bonkers.  Yes, I do see a couple of flys flying around him and I guess if they land on him that is when he freaks out.  But, I don't see anyway to totally get rid of all flies and I am not even sure that would solve the problem.  I was wondering if maybe his skin is just over sensitive and if there is something we could rub all over him that would soothe it.  Baby oil?  Mineral oil?  Just wondering if anyone had any ideas.  If he continues like this, my nine year old is going to have a hard time showing him.  The other one acts like it is bothering him some, but nothing like this.  Any help and suggestion will be appreciated.  Thanks!

I would make sure he is not bloated- you say kicking at his belly. I also would make sure they didn't nick his sheath when they clipped him. If they did it might sting a bit. If he is kicking and switching his tail he definitely is being irritated by something. Rinse and wash him with soap and condition him afterwards.

chambero

Are you meaning slick sheared?  Guessing you might be in TX.

Get the fly spray off of him.  Their skin can be really sensitive.  It takes calves a while to get used to the feel of losing their hair in winter.

As far as what to put on him, in a 5 gallon bucket put enough vingar in it to cover the bottom of the bucket, two good "squirts" of Mane and Tail conditioner, and fill it up with water, then pour that over him and brush it in with a SOFT bristle brush.

Do not wash slick sheared calves very often.  Dries their skin out too much.

vc

If flies are a problem put him in front of a fan after you wash and rinse him that will with the flies.

OH Breeder

chambero said:
Are you meaning slick sheared?  Guessing you might be in TX.

Get the fly spray off of him.  Their skin can be really sensitive.  It takes calves a while to get used to the feel of losing their hair in winter.

As far as what to put on him, in a 5 gallon bucket put enough vingar in it to cover the bottom of the bucket, two good "squirts" of Mane and Tail conditioner, and fill it up with water, then pour that over him and brush it in with a SOFT bristle brush.

Do not wash slick sheared calves very often.  Dries their skin out too much.

A northern here not knowing anything about slick shear hence my answer. I am thinking trim....hair show. Never occurred to me slick shear down south.  ???

SlickTxMaine

After we slick shear for our Texas shows we rinse and apply Maine and Tail conditioner.  Let it sit on the calf for about 30 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.  This should help him considerably.  His skin could be razor burned also, which itches and burns.  We do the conditioner thing every day the week before the show.  Helps get their hair and skin looking good for the show. 

rackranch

Just FYI, we like to slick a few weeks out.  If there are any unseen skin or hair problems it gives us a chance to take care of it.  Also give us a chance to start getting the skin and hair into show ring shape.  Make certain you keep them out of the direct sun, especially if you put any type of oill based conditioner on the skin such as Revive, they will sunburn in a hurry.  Then about five to seven days out we slick for show.  When your slicking for a major make sure you get everything 1/4 or less.  A freind of mine got DQ'ed in Houston two years ago for having hair longer than 1/4 under the dew claw on the back foot.  Took the steer to Austin a week later and got Res. Charolias so it all worked out in the end.  G-Luck at your show

Nueces County??

cowgirl sue

Thanks for all of the replys and advice.  We washed him off, but didn't condition him.  Never have thought of that.  That is why I knew I could get some good advice from you guys.  We got home too late this evening to go back to town to buy some, but will tomorrow.  Thanks again.  I knew I could count on all of you.  My husband said he thought he had settled down some and finally saw him lay down later this afternoon.  We check in tomorrow and show Thursday morning.  Hope we can get him calmed down by then.