Need help on a decision!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cpratz

So I have some what of a dilemma that I am faced with. I have two ways that I could go until I get out of high school and college. I could either buy a donor cow and some recip cows or I could lease somewhere around 25-50 acres of cropland from my dad and "borrow" his equipment when I need it. (planter, tractors, combine, semi, etc) and I would still get to show one heifer a year. I'm 15 and a sophomore in high school and need to get a "Real FFA Project" instead of showing steers and just working on the farm. 

So the question is which would be more profitable. I live in Stillwater, Ok (north central)

Thanks for all the feedback in advance! 

Colton Pratz

ploughshare

Have you put pencil to paper yet, seems like that is the next step.  You can figure this out if you talk to the folks who will help fiance your goals.  You can't do it alone, seek advice and the answer will become evident.

My advice, practice cattle while you focus on education, but hold tight to your goals.  Cattle are business once you graduate showing.

auctioneerajb

Do whatever you think will make you the happiest. If you enjoy working with cattle and it's something you'd like to do after school then start building your herd. If you'd rather crop farm, then start renting ground now and go for it. Can you possibly do both? Not as much land and maybe buy a recip or two the have decent embryos in them. What ever you decide, make sure you have your goals set before you begin then do what's needed to achive them. Biggest mistake I made was getting into the cattle buisness without no real clear cut goal in mind. Alot of time wasted floundering around before I figured out what I wanted and what I had to do to get there.

Good Luck!
Auctionman

lightnin4

auctioneer brings up a good idea...if you want to get into cattle, why not buy some recips and some good embryos to put in them.  May be less of an investment to start off with then you could possibly raise your own donors.  I agree too with making the decision based on what you enjoy doing more.  I went back to work on the family farm after several years away for college and working elsewhere.  We have cattle and row crops, and I don't dislike the row crops, but I prefer the cattle.  When my Dad decides it time to get out, I know I don't want to do row crops anymore.

cpratz

I like both of them a lot but the down side of the donor and embryo deal is that I have to wait a while to get my investment back through collection of embryos and implanting them in recips and then waiting for a calf that I could sale. So it would be at least a year and a half to two years before I see any return on my investment. Where as in the crops I would more than likely get a return on my investment every year and I wouldn't have to be checking on them daily and pampering them like a donor cow and calves.

leanbeef

I don't think it's ever a bad idea to diversify your interests as much as possible in agricultural ventures. There are just too many uncontrollable factors that can make or break you year in & year out. True...you don't have to check a corn field every day, but what can you do about drought or flood or other natural disaster? Most things that happen to cattle can be more easily managed if you catch it and treat it. Yes...a donor & recips would result in a lengthy wait time...maybe buy bred cows or pairs so you have some return while you're waiting on your first crop of YOUR genetics to hit the ground.

I agree completely with choosing based on your passion & your heart. If you love both, does it have to be a choice? Look for a way to do both, and that way you're diversified, you spread & help manage risk, and you get double the experience & double the potential for success.

Good luck! I'm glad there are still young guys who aren't too afraid to try to make a living in agriculture!

cpratz

Thanks for all the help guys! Im just going to get half intrest in a proven donor and buy some recip cows for now and then maybe do some crops later in college maybe. Im going to have a good contract so dont worry!

Thanks again!
Colton