Need help with 10 more Photos for the Bull Bracket

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

OH Breeder said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Sugar Ray just looks nuts!

As others have said, I remember the first sugar steers. OUCH is all I have to say. If I remember right there were lots of Brindles and some wild colors.

that's better than the one i have.  pretty much looks the same.  color, yeah, there were some pretty light color brindles and they were really pretty.  i always liked ildeno for more good calves than sugar ray.  they tended to be more even chest floor to cod, and in spite of ildeno's reputation for no hair, i'd have to say there were more than had enough hair, at least for back then, that didn't.

Hoof Hearted

Here is a more mature pic of Sugar Ray. I always liked this pic over the 3/4 front shot, at least in this one you can see his muscle definition.

Attachments

• sugar ray.jpg
    sugar ray.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 299

chambero

I don't know if I still had it, but I used to have a magazine that had Sugar Ray's baby photo at Denver in it. 

ploughshare

Here is a picture of Sugar Ray while at Hawkeye Breeders in Adel  in 1993.

Attachments

• Sugar Ray 3.JPG
    Sugar Ray 3.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 265

vcsf

Interesting to see the different photos of Sugar Ray.  I had only ever seen the 3/4 front shot in quite a few different semen catalogs.  Definitely think he looks better in the profile picture and don't understand why they would not have used it more.  The picture at stud looks good for an eleven year old bull.

I always thought that the off color behind his shoulder was probably due to the lighting and sun in the 3/4 front shot but it appears he really did have quite a variation in color.

vcsf

I am not really a big fan of the bull but thought I would put up this picture of Grand Canyon from Leachman's sale catalog when they sold him.  I think he looks a bit different from his mature photo.

Attachments

• Grand Canyon salecat.jpg
    Grand Canyon salecat.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 179

inthebarnagain

OH Breeder said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Sugar Ray just looks nuts!

As others have said, I remember the first sugar steers. OUCH is all I have to say. If I remember right there were lots of Brindles and some wild colors.
I had a sugar ray steer my 8th year in 4-H, I am 40 now.  One of the smartest calves I ever had and the one that gave me the worst headaches.  He always knew when it would be the easiest to escape, just when you went through the gate into the ring, as I stepped around the bar of the chute while pulling him into the chute, etc.  I ended up bringing our old roping horse out of the retirement just so I could go through the gate with him without him getting away from me.  The funny thing with him was though he never hurt anyone or tried to hurt anyone, it was kind of a big game, once he got away you could walk right up to him and he would be fine the rest of the day.

The absolute funniest thing was the night of our show at the fair, because of his attitude we never took him to a show until the fair so it was his first trip to town.  Once it started to get dark he saw the midway rides moving up above the display building and completely freaked out.  He wouldn't let anyone take his halter but me and would not let me leave his side.  Of course the judge couldn't be merciful and put me third in the class, I won the first class and had to keep him out walking for another hour waiting for the cross championship.  I finally had my mom go with me to our motor home because I had to go to the bathroom, which was luckily right across from the entrance door to the RV.  There I was on the throne, the door wide open and the calf standing with his head in the door so he could still see me.  AHHHH the memories!

inthebarnagain

shortdawg said:
I can just picture that calf watching you on the toilet - that's some story !

I thought he was going to follow me in the RV!  He was one of those that all year long I couldn't WAIT until the night of the auction because of the pain in the butt that he was, then the week of the fair he was stuck to me like a shy 2 year old hanging around mom's neck.  Actually shed a few tears when I watched him load on the trailer.