Need Help With Old Herd

Help Support Steer Planet:

GandL125

I am taking over the inlaws herd. There are 20 head of beefmaster and beefmaster cross cows with avg age of 10+ yrs with Limousin Bull that is about the same age. One cow is an offspring who is beefmaster/lim cross but they keep breeding her back to her Lim dad.
To get down to it I want to get rid of the Lim bull and either A.I. or bring in another bull of higher quality. We have 16 calves on the ground 4 of them are heifers we are keeping. All money earned from the sale of cattle go straight to my 2 daughters' bank account unless used for purchase of cattle.
I want advice and input on what to breed cows to before we sell the older cows, ideas on selling the older cows now or retaining them for another year or two or few, and advice/ideas on what to breed the new heifers to when of age.
The goal is to earn money for my daughters, have cattle for them to show and have both commercial and show quality cattle to sell.
Thank You in advanced!

The attached photo is a sample of some of the offspring and a few of the cows...

Attachments

• Sample.jpg
    Sample.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 266

mark tenenbaum

Those look like some good old cows-and Ive kept some till they were 16: as long as they can raise a calf-Its CHEEPER TO KEEP HER JMO-If you are in Texas or Oklahoma-I would imagine flashy color wouldnt hurt them. There are good LOW BW clubby Shorthorn bulls around those areas,-and ID get a roan or white one.Beefmasters have Shorthorn and or Hereford in them-I just think the roan-Hereford look (like Indian Outlaw) is cool-and theyd have aot of meat in them. LIMMI xs good with Shorts too JMO O0

Diamond

I would only cull then if they are hard doing or aren't milking well enough, after that I would breed them to something that you can reg. the calf be it chi or whatever so you can market calves like that. I would consider a good Simmental with how popular the breed is right now, especially if your main consurn is the girls bank accounts. good luck, and that red cow with the calf looks good, I would at least keep her around. JMO

insjockey

Up to the part where you said Limo bull, it sounded like exactly what happened to me and my wife. The father-n-law had a Beefmaster on the BF cows and we sold him and sold a few of the real old cows.

Got a solid black 3/4 x 1/4 Simbrah bull and now have 14 new ones on the ground and we are thrilled to death. Except for one that has white socks on her back legs they are either solid black or solid red. Will be selling the first couple of bull calves in two weeks and I know that they will be at least 50 lbs heavier than the last of the Beefmaster calves we sold a month ago at the same age. Will keep a couple of the heifers to breed to a second Simbrah bull we have.