Need some help here..

Help Support Steer Planet:

TXclubcalf

My steer for our county fair this year isnt that bad.  I show him in roughly 30 days.  It is a hair show, but my steer is really starting to lose all of his hair.  He gets rinsed twice a day and blown out every three days. He stays under 3 fans and a mister in a pretty dark pen.  If he doesnt have hair im worried i wont even make the sale with him. Anybody have any tricks i can use to make him magically grow some hair, or even keep it on by the time of show day???

twistedhshowstock

Where are you showing at?  Here are some pointers.  You should be blowing him and working hair everytime ou rinse him.  Its ok to leave them a little damp when they are going under fans, but if they are wet to the touch then they probably arent going to grow hair very well.  Beyond the cooling of the rinsing, the brushing and blowing tend to stimulate the hair follicles which helps keep the hair stronger.  Are you putting any type of conditioner in him?  I would recomend using something like clean sheen daily.  Another question is how often are you shampooing him? If you use soap to often it can dry and irritate the skin.
I dont know what part of texas you are in, I am in East Texas and we have been having some pretty warm days already.  Plus its been very very humid.  All situations that will make them lose hair.  We had 2 shorthorn heifers with awesome hair, that were under fans, they started shucking hair about 2 weeks before Houston.  If you have access to a cool room, it would really help, but I know most of us dont.  So I would say just be sure your rinsing, blowing, and keeping him under those fans. And your doing about all you can

Latest posts