need some help

Help Support Steer Planet:

WpPaint

Hi everyone, I'm new to steerplanet.com and I hate to start out looking for help, but here I am. I woke up this morning to my daughter crying, when she went to take care of her steer she found him dead. The vet came and thinks he bloated overnight. I'm here  to ask if anyone knows of a finished steer someone would be willing to sell at the end of the month. This is her last year being able to show, while I know she wont be able to attend state now I would like her to be able to go to her county fair. Shes a vary hard working kid and got into the steers on her own (we have only ever done horses) she pays for her own animal/feed and provides all the care for it. I would promise the seller that this animal would be going to a great home for the remainder of his time here. If you have anything or know of anyone who would please let me know. The best way to reach me is threw my email [email protected] please send pictures, your number, and price if you know what your looking to get or we can talk about that over the phone.

Gargan

Sorry to hear about this! Hopefully some1 will be able to set u up with a steer for her to show.

kfacres

where are you at?  That would be a great tidbit..

if I were in your shoes, I'd be checking around at the local county fairs and buying the steers that those kids are selling in the auction.  Great way to buy a good steer, exactly what you want, and broke to lead and show.

I know this b/c one family in our county used to go to the county fair the week before ours, and buy themselves 2 show calves when they ran through the ring at IPLA. 

needless to say, didn't take long and we ran that family out of dodge...

WpPaint

we are located in PA, but I'm willing  to have the animal trucked here with eather myself arranging trucking from my side, meeting half way, or paying someone from the selling side. Sorry outspoken, I don't know much about the show cattle world, it really is my daughters thing, however I know what showing cattle means to her so I'm trying to find a way to replace him.

McM93

I have a great amount of empathy for your daughter. If you do this more than one year, there will be some really hard luck. I don't know the rules in PA, but bringing in a calf this late...as much as I hate to say it, it will probably more trouble than it is worth if he does well. I don't know your situation, but have you thought of buying her a breeding animal? I know it is terrible timing with her likely moving away to college, but it might be a nice excuse to come home to "check on" once in a while... (angel) Again, not knowing a thing about PA, ownership dates are usually much later on heifers and she might still be able to attend the state show... (thumbsup) If she could show a heifer, there would be almost countless good possibilities on this forum to find one...IMO

Diamond

You could try asking one of the blog users like matt lauthner, see if they would post on there for you. Personally I dont see anything taboo about her trying to replace her kids steer. Whats the difference really between a steer or heifer? Its not like she is buying one just so her daughter can go out and win without having to do the work. Its not like shes asking for a steer that will win the whole show. Sounds to me like shes trying to help her child.

shortdawg

Look at the steer on the post (opinions on shorthorn steer) - they said their fair is only 2 weeks - may be a possibility there

Cattle Cards

outspoken said:
where are you at?  That would be a great tidbit..

if I were in your shoes, I'd be checking around at the local county fairs and buying the steers that those kids are selling in the auction.  Great way to buy a good steer, exactly what you want, and broke to lead and show.

I know this b/c one family in our county used to go to the county fair the week before ours, and buy themselves 2 show calves when they ran through the ring at IPLA. 

needless to say, didn't take long and we ran that family out of dodge...

I'm not sure how ethical this is or isn't.  It's not like you do this all the time and it's her last year, anyway.  I don't dislike the idea Outspoken gave you.  It's definitely an option open to you.  I'd just keep it low key as possible.

That said, I am just heartbroken for your daughter and your family.  It must just hurt.  I remember going out one morning and finding my yearling Quarter Horse filly dead in her stall.  She hadn't been shown shown since winning the OK Breeders Futurity (Open & Amateur) as a weanling, so I know.  Harder yet for her as she is in her last year.  I hope and pray that you are able to get some help and make it happen for her.  Wishing you the best.
<cowboy>

WpPaint

Thankyou everyone for all the ideas and emails. I think we are on the right track to finding her a replacement with everyones who's emailed/called me. I know its not ideal but I cant bring the one we lost back. I don't know any parent that would want their child to feel as if they missed out on a piece of their childhood, even if it is one of the last pieces.

frostback

Ethical or not are you sure you can do this? Our fair has a weigh in date and if not tagged at that time, no show or sale.  Dead steer or not. Sorry for your situation, but make sure its allowed before all the effort is for not.