Need to hold a steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

east texas

What are some of the things you have done to hold a steer? I have a steer that wieghs 1100 lbs he needs to way around 1300 lbs at the end of March. We are feeding him 6 lbs of cottonseed hulls with 2 lbs of beet pulp twice a day, and he is still gaining weight.

twistedhshowstock

Is he putting on frame or just getting fat? On that diet he shouldnt be gaining anything really, but at this point I would say turn him out in a lot with some hay for a few months then pull him up a couple months before the show and feed him to try and freshen him up.

twistedhshowstock

What kinda steer is he? If he is still putting on frame pouring the fat to him will help to slow the frame down, but wont help in the weight gain issue.  If he is still putting frame on and has some true growth left in him, he may just be one that finishes a little heavier than we would like.  I always say finish where they will look best for their frame, if he has the frame to be a 1400 kinda steer then that is where he needs to finish. I always feel they do better that way than if you have one that has the frame and needs to finish at that heavier weight and you try to keep em to a lighter weight. 
But to answer your question, I think I would turn him out on just pasture or hay for a while and pull him up end of January or so and freshen him up.