need your help!!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

RAWANGUS

I'm looking for a bull that will provide my son an opportunity to get a freak.  last year to show is coming up in 2 years, and so now is the time to get the semen.  My cows... I have an unstoppable, bodacious,  Smiling Bob, Dr. Who, and 3 reg. angus.  We've bred them in the past to mab, jesse james, monopoly, and amen.  The cows all have the potential to do well.  the structure, bone, hair (except for reg. angus) is all there, but i'm not finding the right fit yet to produce that freak.  any opinions would be great.  thanks

DDT

Freak in what regard, thickness, bone, style, choke necked, all the above? You have used some good bulls, what is it about your calves that you don't like? Any reoccurring calf types from your cows?

b_kackley

The most extreme calf I have seen this past year was a Texas Tornado out of a who made who cow. Massive bone, crazy muscle, and clean fronted. I just don't know about structure as time went on. I will see if I can get more info.

Gargan

Do you know the th status of your bodacious, smiling Bob and unstoppable cows? That's a big factor. Also, if your Angus cows have enough body, walks alone is hard to beat on them, in my opinion. I'm assuming you are wanting to breed for terminal calves out of all the cows u listed.

LLBUX

The Charolais bull Firewater may well throw a calf you would like, especially on the crossbred cows. 

He could be used on all of the cows as he is clean.

RAWANGUS

yes, I guess I'm looking for what we all are.  YOu know the ones you see on the cover of Lautner, I don't think those calves exist. lol.  anyhow, Our fair consistently tells us every year that they are either too coarse and not soft enough, or not fat enough.  I'm enclosing a picture of last year's steer.  tell me what you think.  The Dr. Who and Smiling Bob are free. as are the angus.  I'm sure the other ones are carriers.  What would happen if I bred the carriers to carrier.  I heard someone say that is what some of these freak ones are out of. 

LLBUX

Going back to my genetics classes from 40 years ago,
one out of four carrier x carrier calves will be dead or terribly misshapen,
requiring you to kill it.

Half will be carriers and one will be clean.

I guess it is up to each breeder as to what they can tolerate.

RAWANGUS

yeah, you are right.  I won't take the chance of having to lose one.  too expensive to do that.