Never shown a steer, cut or band

Help Support Steer Planet:

src cowman

I've never shown a steer, always heifers, my brother-in-law would like to do a steer next year for kids.  I raise the calves, always on our bull calves we band with Calcrate bander. I would like to know if this is a good idea for a show steer, or should I knife the calf?

dwcc

We band at birth or a couple days later, but if we miss one we cut them at weaning.  Heals a lot faster if you cut them. 

diamonddls

Call me old fashioned but advocate cutting when ever possible. Heals faster less hard on the calves and you know darn well you have two. Although cattle over 500# you are better off to vaccinate for tetanus and give anti toxin then use the band reduces chance of heavier calves bleeding out. That being said an experienced knife man with an emasculator is just as safe. At the end of the day its what ever method you are most comfortable with as long as you get both testicles.

src cowman

Thanks, if you feel like I'd be better with which ever method I'm more comfortable with, then I'd go with the Calcrate because I band all bulls about 500#  and always give antitetnus shot.

Danielle1018

I would play it safe and cut. We do show wethers as well as show steers. Heals a lot faster.

Latest posts