new 4-H steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

upthecreek

Here is a updated picture of the shorty.  He has not been washed or clipped and he is trying to eat "cookies" out of my daughters lips.

Attachments

• DSCN1211.JPG
    DSCN1211.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 192

vanridge

Well we had our fair this weekend and our steer have been placed. The first place goes to the black steer, 2nd to the shorthorn, 3rd to second black steer. 4th to shortie cross. The first place Black steer was 1260lbs, shortie was 1195, shortie cross was 1210 and "Maximus" was 1240.  The front end on the black steer is a bit heavy but he really looked good out there. My son did a very good job feeding him and working with him and he can be proud of a job well done! On the picture he has him stretched out too much but it was plus 30C outside and the boy and his steer were tired. FYI my boy insists on using that show halter because it was given to him by a retired breeder who is very well known and respected and has shown cattle all over North America. That halter means the world to him :)

Attachments

• carman2012 065.jpg
    carman2012 065.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 256
  • carman2012 061.jpg
    carman2012 061.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 251

Duncraggan

I look at competitions like this and wonder.

What does the carcase look like?

I think there is potential for a competition where all competitors present an animal for slaughter within a certain window, say 01 June until 31 August.

Pictures are taken, say, front, back and side.

Weight, within one hour of slaughter at an approved facility.

Cold carcase weight to determine slaughter percentage.

Bone out percentage, possibly lean meat percentage as well.

Grade.

Allocate points to each category.

Give a final point.

You have an objectively evaluated winner!

For good measure you could even have a 'blind tasting', like wine, to give a subjective 'housewives' winner.  Not to appear sexist!

vanridge

Duncraggan said:

I think there is potential for a competition where all competitors present an animal for slaughter within a certain window, say 01 June until 31 August.

Grade.

Give a final point.

For good measure you could even have a 'blind tasting', like wine, to give a subjective 'housewives' winner.  Not to appear sexist!
Just our of curiosity, do you disagree with the winner?
We do have a carcass evaluation for all the steers that stay in the area (which is most of them)  Quite often what happens is that the winner of the carcass competition is someone unexpected that placed in the middle of the pack. When we raise a 4-H steer our goal is to help our son train him until it is bomb proof and we try to show up with a finished steer. If we can get a really good grading carcass than we are satisfied. The rest is all the judges decision for that day and for our fair we never had such a close group of steers like we did this year. We also had a really good judge who was very consistant and even if you disagreed with him you couldn't argue with him because he gave very valid reasons. He also did an amazing job with the kids, giving them tips and pointers and really taking the time to look over each animal and not ignoring the "bad" ones .

vanridge

Okotoks said:
Those are good looking steers and with the performance they have shown so far they should be in the 1420 to 1550 lb. range by show time!
OH Breeder said:
The black steer seems to be bred for early maturing. He might finish out a little quicker not quiet as fresh handling by july. I think the Shorthorn with the right Clip job is going to be eye catching and pretty balanced. The brockle red calf is going to fool you. I think towards the end like others have said he will come on. They all look like good solid county fair calves. Of the three the Shorthorn is the cleanest made. He does not have the leather up front like your black calf. the shorthorn seems to also demonstrate the most muscle expression from the pictures at this stage. JMO

My placing would be
Shorthorn
Brockle
Black
Back in December we had the kids measure their calves to predict frame score. When we did that the black steer was supposed to be 1260-1275 lbs to be finised. We calculated an ADG of about  2 lbs to get him there and we coaseted him through the whole year, bumping his grain up a notch at the end just to get him finished up and hopefully grading well. The shorthorn cross ended up with a horrible ADG of about 2 lbs and we are not really sure why that happened. We didn't care for the sire but we didn't expect thisto happen at all. Also the dam may be partly to blame because, like his 1/2 brother last year he seems to be lacking in the ribeye area. They always say that if you want to know which are your good cows you should finish a pen of steers, and i can see a lot of wisdom in that statement

kfacres

I still prefer the black steer..  Don't see anything wrong with his front in for a fat steer-- IMO.  The white face, really came on good- and the shorthorn is how I would expect him to look.  i call the shorthorn peicey, the white face, not quite done. 

the black wins hands down in my book...

PS. thanks for keeping me in the loop! (pop)

Duncraggan

vanridge said:
Duncraggan said:

Grade.

Give a final point.

We do have a carcass evaluation for all the steers that stay in the area (which is most of them)  Quite often what happens is that the winner of the carcass competition is someone unexpected that placed in the middle of the pack. When we raise a 4-H steer our goal is to help our son train him until it is bomb proof and we try to show up with a finished steer. If we can get a really good grading carcass than we are satisfied. The rest is all the judges decision for that day and for our fair we never had such a close group of steers like we did this year. We also had a really good judge who was very consistant and even if you disagreed with him you couldn't argue with him because he gave very valid reasons. He also did an amazing job with the kids, giving them tips and pointers and really taking the time to look over each animal and not ignoring the "bad" ones .
No, he looks to be a good, well prepared exhibit.

Now, if the carcase winner is often from the middle of the bunch he would place quite well in the overall competition.

It is good to see that kids are involved in agriculture.  I have the bizarre situation where Mondays at my daughter's school have been dubbed 'Meat Free Mondays'!  Apparently to protect the environment!  Nothing about dairy though, as if it doesn't come from cows!  Depriving growing children of protein, iron and vitamins when they all drive in a car to get to school defies logic.

McM93

Duncraggan said:
vanridge said:
Duncraggan said:

Grade.

Give a final point.

Now, if the carcase winner is often from the middle of the bunch he would place quite well in the overall competition.

It is good to see that kids are involved in agriculture.  I have the bizarre situation where Mondays at my daughter's school have been dubbed 'Meat Free Mondays'!  Apparently to protect the environment!  Nothing about dairy though, as if it doesn't come from cows!  Depriving growing children of protein, iron and vitamins when they all drive in a car to get to school defies logic.

Ok, this thread is officially hijacked. "Meat Free Mondays"? Really? Duncraggan, I must put you on the spot and ask what state/province (I understand if you don't name city and/or school) this is in? Is it a public or private school? If is a public school, does the Monday menu meet federal guidelines for child nutrition? No cafeteria worker came up with this, you have an administration with an agenda...Somebody needs to put this fire out!!! IMO

kfacres

McM93 said:
Duncraggan said:
vanridge said:
Duncraggan said:

Grade.

Give a final point.

Ok, this thread is officially hijacked. "Meat Free Mondays"? Really? Duncraggan, I must put you on the spot and ask what state/province (I understand if you don't name city and/or school) this is in? Is it a public or private school? If is a public school, does the Monday menu meet federal guidelines for child nutrition? No cafeteria worker came up with this, you have an administration with an agenda...Somebody needs to put this fire out!!! IMO

south africa... and I'm not sure if they have states or provinces over there... (lol)

Xx redneck xX

Your steer aint to bad. Hes better then alot. Hes got a hunk of muscle on him. For a steer he should of been banded earlier. But hes still nice. But. With the herfi get the hair growin on him if hes part shorthorn. He'll be a decnt calf also. 

vanridge

Xx redneck xX said:
Your steer aint to bad. Hes better then alot. Hes got a hunk of muscle on him. For a steer he should of been banded earlier. But hes still nice. But. With the herfi get the hair growin on him if hes part shorthorn. He'll be a decnt calf also. 
You're the second person that has mentioned that but this steer was banded at a day old. He is just heavy on the front. We'll find out next week what his carcass graded. We're getting together with all the members for a carcass evaluation

Duncraggan

McM93 said:
Duncraggan said:
vanridge said:
Duncraggan said:
Apologies for the late reply.

I agree that this is a strange situation.  I live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.  There are no guidelines I know of that determine nutritional minimums for children, we are after all in Africa!  It seems as if this was a unilateral decision by the school as the first I heard about it was at the implementation.  It was certainly never put to the vote amongst the parent body!

My 8 year-old daughter says it is because it is 'good for nature'.  They are allowed to take milk products, but in her own words they 'get into a little bit of trouble' if they take meat to school!

If anybody on SP has any ideas/facts/input on this matter it would be much appreciated.

I will send a letter to the headmaster requesting information as to the implementation procedure.

It may warrant a new thread!

I will give you a PM on what transpires!