New 4h Calves. Opinions??

Help Support Steer Planet:

CameronW

These are my 4h steers for the 2013-2014 show season. I am hoping to start showing in the beginning of October if I have them calmed down and lead broke by then. The first picture is an early March Unstoppable steer calf. If I remember correctly he is going to be registered Maine Anjou. The next two pictures are of a late April Master of Puppets steer out of a Dj Patents Hunk donor cow that is the mother the bull Uncle Kracker. He will be registered Chi. The pictures are from my cell phone in bad light. The calves have been weaned for 2 weeks and just started on feed so they are very green. Its only my second year showing beef steers. I would appreciate any opinions on the calves.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0949.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0949.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 242
  • Camera$IMG_20130810_220903.jpg
    Camera$IMG_20130810_220903.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 221
  • Camera$IMG_20130810_221042.jpg
    Camera$IMG_20130810_221042.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 187

Heismanziel

They look like what they should after being weaned. Looks like you got the gentics, the facilites now its time to do the hard work. keep the updates coming im sure they turn out to be good ones

CameronW

Thanks Heismanziel. I'm hoping they turn out pretty good. I'm having them registered to show in the Best of the Buckeye at beef expo and state fair if they turn out good enough otherwise they will just go to my county fair.

Tallcool1

I like what I see in the bunk...lots of feed!  That's good.

The Unstoppable looks really good.  I know it is hard to take a good picture by yourself, but he is really long necked and looks to have a good leg considering he doesn't have much hair.

I realize that you have them inside because you were taking pictures/they just got home, BUT in the interest of getting that hair growing, get them outside!  Let mother nature help you do the dirty work!!!

You'r doing a great job.  Enthusiasm is the number one ingredient in this recipe!  Great job picking out next year's project.

CameronW

Thanks Tallcool1 but for now they have to stay inside until they are halter and lead broke. My outside pen is on the opposite side of the yard from the barn and these two have the tendency to run when I attempt to walk them. I have began tying them up. They are doing pretty well but the MOP is still pretty crazy. And the Unstoppable was my cheaper steer. Im hoping they calm down and will start walking so I can show them both and not just the one.

vc

You have plenty of time, just tie them up each day, while their tied, do you pen mucking and get your feed ready, if you can get a comb and a brush on them while their tied. ( I am guessing rinsing is not an option at this time). Stay in the area and keep a good eye on them. An hour a day tied and then walk them to their feed and turn them loose.
This is where the tortuous and the hare fable holds true, slow and steady, every little bit of progress is a victory, just don't expect every day to have victory, you just need more days of improvement then you have of days that they go backwards.

Nice calves by the way.

CameronW

VC. Thanks for the reply. The bigger one i have actually washed/rinsed 3 times. He is doing pretty good about being tied and standing to be rinsed and blown but as soon as I untie him he tries to take off and thats the only time I have any problem with him. The little guy on the other hand is very tough. Its hard to pull him in to be tied. But after I tie him and he fights it for about 5 minutes he is fine. I blew him out today and he was pretty calm for it being the first time. I comb them a lot in the pen when they arent tied and they are really calming down for me. Hopefully I can get the little guy rinsed here soon.

vc

Your on the right track, just be patient and work with them every day, they will come around.

CameronW

Thanks VC. I am possibly showing the 24th if I get  him calmed down more. I just want to get him show broke before it counts for the bigger more important shows and I want to get a weight on him. The little guy might go just to get weighed.