New American Red Angus Rule

Help Support Steer Planet:

Pipeliner

We just got an e-mail today letting us know that any Red Angus shown in the States from out of country has to be registered in the American red angus association and the exhibitor has to be a member of the association. Where as before the Canadian papers where still excepted at the shows. I was wondering if the other breeds have done this as well? Or if they've been like this for years. I'm pretty sure the blacks have to be. Anyways just thought I'd let the red angus peeps that haven't done it in past years know the skinny.

knabe

seems fair.  you are benefiting from expanding your markets and you are supporting the association by participating in a show that you would otherwise not be able to participate in.

ROAD WARRIOR

Personally I think it's B.S. and I'm an american. I just love the way the association makes rules for the show when 90% of the board is anti show to begin with. Most of them are apparently clueless that it is the people that spend their own money (alot of money) dragging cattle up and down the road that expose new potential buyers/breeders to our breed as a whole. They all show up at Denver and pass out their propaganda for their upcoming bull sales and sit in the stands during the show and claim that they have better cattle than that at home. Our own exec. secretary stated that commercial bull buyers don't come to Denver. Really!?!? I better quit herfe before I really get POed and say what I really think. RW

justintime

I'm not a Red Angus breeder, but Shorthorns have had this rule for several years. I have no problem with it myself, as there are a few registration differences between the US and Canada. It assures that all animals are on the same page. I also see no problem with a Canadian having to be a member of of the American association. If I want to play in your sand box, I should have to help maintain it.

Pipeliner

I can see both sides of the fence on this one. We've been a member for years and have papered around half of the cattle we show down in the states with they're American papers. (all the bulls, the odd heifer.) this just means we have a little more paper work.

TPX

As a Canadian the only concern that I have is that I hope our Canadian members don't start registering all there cattle in the American association and not the Canadian, b/c as of right now we don't require American cattle to have a Canadian registration.  I don't think this will be a problem as I think most people will just do the cattle that they plan on showing down there. 

feeder duck

Maybe the anti show part of the breed could be charged $5 a head for every "commercial"  Red Angus female that sells this year if the breeder runs an add in the Journal. Seems fair if the show guys gotta pay.

twistedhshowstock

I dont have a problem with it. Actually most associations have this rule.  If it is an American association show then you have to be a member of the American association to show, simple as that, most associations are that way. If it is an associaiton show then you have to be a member of that association and your cattle have to be registered with that association in order to show.
Why are all the breeders complaining about it.  The Jrs have to pay membership dues to the Jr Association in order to be able to show at Jr Nationals, so why shouldnt the breeders have to pay dues to the association put on the shows that they want to show at??? Membership dues are how the associations operate and afford to put on these shows, so its only right that the people who want to participate in the shows pay dues to help cover the cost.

Pipeliner

I don't have a problem with it.  We're members in Canada, USA and Australia. I figured most breeds were like that, but wasn't  sure.Hopefully people showing from out of country won't get caught with there pants down at the up coming shows.